Student News News

Joel Dommett to headline at Freshers' Comedy Night

The 'I'm a Celebrity' star will be supported by fellow acts Jake Lambert and Lauren Pattison

Image Credit: from left to right, Andy Hollingworth, Matt Crockett, Jake Lambert

Nouse can exclusively reveal that this year’s Comedy Night will be headlined by Joel Dommett. The comedian is known for his regular appearances on panel shows, as well as his work on I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! Edinburgh Fringe Best Newcomer Lauren Pattison is set to be second support, whilst Jake Lambert will be opening the show.

Comedy Night will be held at the end of Freshers’ Week on Sunday 6 October in the newly-refurbished Central Hall. The show will last for three hours, from 7:00-10:00pm. As well as being a comedian, headliner Joel Dommett has also written a book about his search for romantic relationships: a theme that often features heavily in his act.

Dommett has previously appeared on a number of different TV shows, from his Comedy Central work with fellow comedian Nish Kumar called Joe and Nish Vs The World, to more serious acting roles in shows like Skins. He is known for his many appearances on TV wrap-up shows: he is the current host of I’m a Celebrity: Extra Camp, and has also appeared on The Great British Bake Off: Extra Slice.

Opener Jake Lambert fell into an unlikely career as a standup following his success on Twitter, posting from the account @LittleLostLad. Since then, he has appeared as a comic on panel shows including Mock the Week and 8 Out of 10 Cats. In 2015, he was crowned the Magners New Comedian of the Year, and since, he's achieved fame at the Edinburgh Fringe. A Chortle review of his recent Fringe show praised him heavily: “if likeability alone won comedy awards, Jake Lambert would have a full mantlepiece”. His show was unique for its use of innovative video packages, although its use in the set on Comedy Night is open to speculation.

Second support Lauren Pattison has previously appeared on Comedy Central, featuring in a number of stand-up shows. The Evening Standard has dubbed her the “rising star of London’s comedy scene.” Her 2018 show, Lady Muck, focused on the theme of a “young person finding their feet in life,” and is a “really honest account of being in your 20s”.

*Tickets for Comedy night can be purchased for £10 at the YUSU website, or students can buy a Bundle Ticket for £30, which will permit entry to Freshers’ Festival and the Viking Raid as well as Comedy Night.