Campus News News

New York Vice-Chancellor starts work

Prof. Charlie Jefferey CBE promises to build on "creative collaborations" for which York is renowned.

Image Credit: University of York

Professor Charlie Jefferey CBE, formerly of the University of Edinburgh, has taken up his new role as Vice-Chancellor of the University of York yesterday, following the departure of Professor Koen Lamberts in the winter of last year. According to the University’s Chair of Council, Denise Jagger, Jeffrey is an “inspirational leader” with a “wealth of strategic experience” to bring to the University.

Professor Jefferey first arrived in Edinburgh as a Professor of Politics in 2004, where he went on to develop a particular academic interest in Scottish independence. Later, he held a number of managerial roles. Jeffrey’s key achievements include involvement in securing a £237 million Government investment in Edinburgh’s Data Science programme, and instituting a “cultural change” at Edinburgh that enabled a “stronger student voice”, and “community building”. He is the seventh person to hold the role of Vice-Chancellor of the University of York since its inception in 1962.

The new Vice Chancellor has now taken over from acting Vice-Chancellor Professor Saul Tendler, who has occupied the role for just over nine months since the departure of the previous University boss Koen Lamberts last year. The University board announced they had found a replacement in April, but it is only now that Professor Jefferey will officially take over the reins. When his appointment was first announced, Jefferey commented that he was particularly interested in expanding support for “the creative collaboration across disciplines for which York is renowned, in partnership with like-minded institutions nationally and internationally.”

On his appointment to his new role, Jefferey commented: “I am delighted to be joining the University of York… York is a University that stands out for its uncompromising commitment to excellence in both teaching and research, its heritage and record as a University founded to widen participation in higher education, and for the strength of community that links students and staff of all backgrounds in discovering and applying knowledge for public good.”