City News News

Ellie Goulding to marry fiancé in York on Saturday

The wedding will take place at the Minster, and Castle Howard

Image Credit: Tuomas Vitikainen

A congregation of famous names including Ed Sheeran and Rita Ora will descend on the City of York this weekend for the marriage of pop star Ellie Goulding.

Goulding, 32, will wed Eton and Harvard educated blue-blood Caspar Jopling, 27, in a private service at York Minster this Saturday. A reception will be held afterwards at Castle Howard, the grand stately home designed by John Vanbrugh, after whom Vanbrugh College is named.

The couple had previously been unsure of where to host their wedding. They reportedly divide their time between London and New York, where Jopling works at the famous art dealership Sotheby’s in corporate development and strategy. He is the nephew of celebrity art dealer Jay Jopling.

The couple announced their engagement in August 2018 in The Times and have been dating since 2017. The announcement in the paper read: “Mr C.W.F. Jopling and Miss E.J. Goulding. The engagement is announced between Caspar, son of The Hon Nicholas Jopling of Yorkshire and Mrs Jayne Warde-Aldam of Yorkshire, and Elena, daughter of Mr Arthur Goulding of Hertfordshire and Mrs Tracey Sumner of West Midlands.”

Guests include celebrity singers Ed Sheeran and Rita Ora, as well as potentially The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, William and Kate. Goulding is a friend of the inner royal circle, having sung at the wedding of the future King and Queen in 2011. It is rumoured that Goulding once dated Prince Harry, but he and Meghan Markle are not expected to attend.

Jopling has his own royal connections as a friend of Princess Eugenie, who will attend with her sister. The pair are expected to be seen with their mother Sarah, Duchess of York, but without her ex-husband, Prince Andrew, who has not appeared in public following news of his controversial relationship with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein.

The wedding reception celebrations are rumoured to be festival themed, with marquees and teepees being assembled at the Castle Howard in preparation for after the wedding ceremony. The Minster will be closed from 12.30pm on Saturday afternoon. A Minster spokesperson declined to comment to the York Press, saying the couple's marriage was a "private matter".

It is likely that with so many royals in town, the city will have extra security over the weekend, especially considering Labour MP Rachel Maskell's decision to hold a so-called 'People's Parliament' in St Helen’s Square, close to the Minster, on the same day.

Anonymous Posted on Thursday 19 Sep 2019

Well let's all bow down and stop what we're doing to celebrate