Fashion Web Exclusives Muse

Women's Rights in Fashion

Beatrice Fraser takes a look at how fashion is tackling the current debates on women's rights

Image Credit: Brian Stansberry

With Alabama becoming the latest US state to pass a bill to outlaw abortion (in almost all cases including incest or rape) and women in Northern Ireland still only having access to them if their life is at risk, it's safe to say we've been seeing a trend in restricting the right of women to have autonomy over their bodies and having a right to choose.

Because of these developments we've seen a significant rise in the coverage of women's rights and push for their universality. This has now surpassed the realm of news and is quickly showing up all over the place, from our social media feeds and now our catwalks too. Alessandro Michele most recently made a pro-choice statement at the Gucci Cruise show and Miley Cyrus teased a new collaboration with Marc Jacobs for Planned Parenthood.

Alessandro Michele held his spectacular Cruise 2020 show in Rome on the 28th May. Set amongst the historic artefacts in the Capitoline Museums the show was streamed on all social media platforms and featured an eternally chic collection but with a political twist. The show had a very obvious pro-choice message. The slogan 'my body my choice' and ' 22/05/1978', the date abortion was legalised in Italy, were presented on the garments as well as the collection containing dresses embellished with ovaries. This stance, however, should come as no surprise as Gucci has been funding its ‘Chime for Change’ programme for gender equality since 2013 pressing for these changes in society. This being said it is always wonderful to see a push for rights and equality – especially when accompanied by couture.

Miley Cyrus’s campaign, on the other hand, was a little more unexpected, announcing her collaboration via an Instagram post of her first licking a cake iced with the slogan 'abortion is healthcare' and captioning the image; 'Very special collab with @plannedparenthood @happyhippiefdn @marcjacobs TO BE ANNOUNCED veryyyyyy soon #WomensRightsAreHumanRights #DONTFUCKWITHMYFREEDOM'. An hour later the collaboration jumper design was released. A pink hoodie stating 'don't fuck with my freedom' and featuring a photo of Cyrus topless holding up grapefruit halves to cover her chest. Whilst Cyrus has become known in recent years for her outlandish aesthetic, this political statement is a welcome addition to the news feed and her jumper is truly wonderful with 100% of proceeds going towards the US Planned Parenthood which fights for the provision of reproductive healthcare. The jumpers will set you back £180 each but with all money going to such a good cause it's definitely worth a pre-order from the Jacobs website.

Clearly women’s rights are making the headlines for a reason with there being a shocking lack of provision in many instances and although these two campaigns most likely won’t change the world these and those alike will always be welcome on my feed and hopefully, in time, there will be real change on this issue.