City News News

Reports of indecent exposure on the rise

North Yorkshire Police continue to investigate reports of indecent exposure in the Heslington area.

Image Credit: Ian S

North Yorkshire Police are continuing to investigate reports of indecent exposure occurring around Heslington.

There have been several reported offences over the past few months, with the incidents often happening on a footpath near Windmill Lane. All of the sightings have occurred in daylight, and police have confirmed that they believe the incidents to be linked.

One victim, a student at the University of York, commented on her experience: “It was around three o’clock in the afternoon and I was walking to the library on the path near the Retreat. About half way down the path there was a guy who was turned away. It wasn’t until I was right next to him that I noticed he was holding his penis and he looked up at me.” The student said that the main emotion she experienced during and after the incident was “embarrassment”.

The student reported the incident to police and urges others to do the same: “For a long while after, I wondered if I was overreacting and if it was worth bringing to the police, but after hearing about the other similar incidents, I think it’s vital people take crimes like this seriously. I would encourage others if they have information to come forward too.”

Due to the lack of CCTV in the area, the police have not been able to find the culprit. The suspect has been described by one victim as being a white male in his twenties or thirties, with pale skin and dark hair, 6ft or taller in height, and as wearing a black padded jacket, black trainers and black or grey jogging trousers.

Police Inspector, Amy Hunt, said that patrols around the Heslington area have increased: “Officers are working hard not only to investigate and identify the suspects but also to provide a reassuring presence in the area.

She added, “we can also offer support from specially-trained officers to anyone who may have been subjected to indecent exposure to ensure victims get any help they need.”

A University spokesperson commented: “Any student who comes forward will be offered appropriate support from our specially trained staff in a safe and confidential environment. We continue to liaise closely with North Yorkshire Police regarding the indecent exposures and have increased our security patrols in the area and issued advice to staff and students.”

Anybody who has any information about these incidents should contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, selecting option 1 and quoting the reference number 12190087384.