Fashion Fashion Editor Muse

Student Style Guide: Summer Formals

Daisy Wallis gives her advice on what to wear to the biggest summer events and parties in the student calendar

Image Credit: Dorothy Perkins PR

The end of exam season is finally here, which can only mean one thing: the end of year formals and graduation ceremonies are here. But what do you wear to such events? Which outfit will shine on the red carpet but will also be suitable for the fairground rides at the Summer Ball? And which shoes won’t make you fall flat on your face when you go up to collect your degree, but still look effortlessly chic? Look no further than our quick style guide, guaranteed to not only make you stand out from the crowd but to be comfortable enough to let you dance the night (and all the exam stresses) away.

The Satin Slip Dress

A '90s staple, the slip dress is one of those versatile pieces that you can pick up pretty much anywhere and is super simple to style. Whether you are after a more elegant Summer Ball look or a more casual one for the fairground rides, the slip dress can be dressed up with strappy heels and statement jewellery or dressed down with chunky boots and a denim jacket – a perfect option no matter what style you prefer!

As we all know, British summer time can be quite unpredictable, meaning it can be quite difficult to prepare for all weather eventualities. The slip dress, therefore, is an option that can be altered for pretty much all-weather conditions. A bit chilly on the day? Pop a plain white tee under your slip dress with chunky boots for an effortless alternative look that Kate Moss would be jealous of. An extremely versatile piece which can easily be made unique to your style, the slip dress is definitely one of our favourite trend pieces and perfect for the end of year festivities.

The Co-ord

Wanting an outfit that you can wear again and seamlessly add to your wardrobe? Why not opt for a co-ord set? Much like the slip dress, the co-ord is one that continues to be popular on the catwalks and in the shops. With a great variety of styles, cuts and colours, there is a co-ord for everyone. Some of our favourites include the '70s inspired wide-leg trouser and matching crop top or, for those who love the tortoiseshell button trend, the button-down midi skirt and matching bralette.

To make your look stand out, why not even take inspiration from some of the shows at February’s London Fashion Week, and mix and match different patterns and colours to create a whole new look? The co-ord is arguably a cool and practical option, one which will look effortlessly chic whether you are partying the night away at Summer Ball, or celebrating with your coursemates at your graduation ceremony.

The Block Heel

Shoes can often be the hardest items to find for any formal outfit, with much of the difficulty revolving around the imbalance between style and comfort. While the high strappy ‘barely-there’ heels may look amazing with your favourite party dress, the pain after wearing them for an hour is almost inevitable. The block heel therefore offers the best of both worlds, a shoe that is not only striking and stylish but will not leave you walking home barefoot by the end of the night.

Coming in a variety of styles, materials, and heel heights, there are plenty of options for all occasions. If you are after more of a trend piece, why not experiment with different textures and patterns, for instance, pair your favourite animal print dress with a neon block heel to create a statement look that is chic, highly on-trend for the summer season and, most importantly, comfortable.

The Headband and Hair-Slides

Taking inspiration from Gossip Girl’s Blair Waldorf, the perfect accessory this season is the headband. Back and better than before, the headband is an accessory that has already been featured on numerous catwalk shows, like Dior, and will no doubt be all over Instagram this summer. From bright colours to heavy embellishments, the revamped head-band is all about glitz and glam. Pair your slip dress with a block heel and a statement headband and you have an effortlessly chic look ready for any formal.

Not a fan of the headband but still want to experiment with hair accessories? Another key trend that has already dominated the cat-walk alongside the headband is the hair-slide. The simple yet effective piece is yet another throwback to fashion’s
past, but has been given an exciting rejuvenation for 2019. Ashley Williams’ diamante 'GIRLS', hair-slides have become quite the social media phenomena this year, adding a touch of '90s nostalgia and an alternative edge to any outfit.

Image Credits: Miss Selfridge PR