Football Roses Sport

Roses 2019: Football Women's 1st

Image Credit: Patrick Hook-Willers

A Roses heavyweight clash was hampered by adverse conditions on Saturday afternoon at the Women’s Football 1st match.

The wind played havoc for both teams limiting the level of quality chances that could be generated. A relatively flat first 30 minutes only saw one notable chance, a Lancaster header tipped away impressively by Skye Kirkham in the York net. The rest of the phase comprised of strong tackles, wayward passing and an evenly balanced midfield for both York and Lancaster.Somewhat out of nowhere, a rare mistake and lack of communication from the Lancaster backline left Jasmine Lawton (York, 7) through on goal bundling the ball over the line to provide a fortunate lead for
the hosts.

On the stroke of half-time Lancaster came back with a well-placed lob that took full advantage of the wind but was also poorly marked by York.The strong winds continued into the second half but more excitement was seen for the spectators at the York Sport Arena. The midfield battle remained tightly poised with Hannah Grieg (York) and Lilly Clarke (Lancaster) featuring regularly in this.

York retook the lead from a corner with a thumping header that left Vicki Lucas in the Lancaster net rooted to her spot.York continued to generate chances but often missing the final pass or finish.However, the game saw one more piece of excitement with Lancaster piling on the pressure in the final 10 minutes. York struggling to clear their lines and nerves started to settle in leading to missed header that saw Erin Menzies (Lancaster, 12) alone in space to neatly slot away into the bottom right hand corner.

Overall, York had a lot of possession but failed to make full use of it whilst the Lancaster side were clinical with what limited chances they had. Both York and Lancaster’s defences were imperious and the eventual 2-2 score line was a fair result for the match that unfolded.

York Player of the Match: Louise Plant
Lancaster Player of the Match: Lilly Clarke