Netball Roses Sport

Roses 2019: Friday and Opening Ceremony

York's Netball team record their first win over Lancaster for 15 years at Roses 2019's Opening Ceremony

Image Credit: Luke Snell

Roses 2019 officially got underway this evening as York beat Lancaster 52-32 in the Women’s Netball. In a game which many expected York to
struggle in, they led from start to finish, recording their first win over Lancaster for over 15 years.

A packed Sports Arena were treated to one of the most exciting opening ceremonies in Roses history, and celebrations are expected to continue long into the night at the Greg’s Place and in the city centre.

The day began bright and early at a quarter past nine, with York’s Women’s Indoor Hockey side overcoming Lancaster 1-0. The away sides first points of the day came around 10:30, when their Women’s Indoor Frisbee side won 7-2.

The fixtures came thick and fast as the day went on, with wins for York in the American Football and the Pole Fitness, and for Lancaster in the Men’s Futsal, which attracted a somewhat rowdy crowd.

Although the Opening Ceremony was today, some action did take place last weekend, including the Cross-Country and Rowing, the former won by York, the latter by the Red Rose. On Wednesday, Lancaster were victorious in the Equestrian, taking six points to York’s four.

As the sun sets over the campus lake, York lead Roses 2019 by 41.5 points to 22.5. This may seem like a sizeable lead, but we are barely a tenth of the way through the action.

The standout fixtures tomorrow include Men’s Fencing, Women’s Lacrosse, Men’s Basketball and the much-anticipated Darts in the evening.