Other Sports Roses Sport

Roses 2019: American Football

Image Credit: Luke Snell

The York Centurions made up for last year’s poor display in this fixture by putting on a defensive masterclass on way to an 8-6 win against the Lancaster Bombers. The game started slowly, with the most notable moment of the opening minutes being a dog making an incredible 50-yard run to finish in the end zone. He, unfortunately, didn’t get the points though as he did not have possession of the ball.

The game may have started slow, but York started the stronger, making Lancaster go four and out on their first play before slowly marching up the field. Seemingly scoring their first TD midway through the game, however, it was seemingly chalked off, with no noticed explanation.

The defence though got straight back to work though, leading to the first points of the game when the snap for a
punt hit the goalposts, resulting in a safety and a two-point York lead.  The second quarter saw yet more defence, a poor pass from York QB Oliver Mulcahy was picked off by a Lancaster cornerback. Not that it mattered as two plays later Lancaster fumbled and gave the ball back to York. The York defensive line was exceptional throughout the game, many Lancaster plays went for losses and attacks went nowhere as a result.

Later in the second Lancaster picked off York again, only to give the ball straight back again with an interception of their own. 2-0 was the half time score Defence may have been centre stage in the first half, but offence was the focus of the third quarter as the Centurions scored quickly. A pass from Mulcahy went straight through the hands of a Bombers cornerback before being received, ironically, by Max Lancaster, who was able to push over the line to score. Max Lancaster is now the highest scorer in the history of Roses, scoring seven touchdowns in four games.

The two-point attempt was unsuccessful, and York led 8-0. Afterwards, it was Lancaster’s (the team, unfortunately) turn to score. Mulcahy’s pass was underthrown straight into the hands of Ciaran Berry, who ran 98 yards the other way for the pick six, giving Lancaster six and reducing the lead to two.

The fourth saw a return to defence, a fake punt from the Bombers failed to work out, and York successfully ran down the clock to win 8-6. Lancaster failed to get a first down without penalties or turnovers in the entire game. After the game, YUSU Sports President Zac Sheppard praised the hard work of the team, especially after last year’s loss and praised the committee’s efforts. The head coach of the Centurions said that everyone dug in when they needed to and that the win reflected the quality of the performance.

It was the Centurions' head coach’s last game today, and it was some game to go out on. Four points brought home for York.