Editorials Comment

"The B Word"

An introduction to the Comment Section of the April Edition

Image Credit: Eve Bottomley

1457
Welcome to the Nouse Comment section. Six pages and eleven articles worth of York students and their opinions. What could possibly be better than that? All our writers exhibit their individual opinions in their own original way and giving these writers a platform to publish them is why I love the Comment Section so much.

People can pretty much write whatever they want, within reason, and we can help them share it with the small proportion of the world (the University of York) who actually read the paper.

There is, however, one issue you will not find in this section, for this issue at least. The word we all hate to hate: Brexit. It is ironic that I’m now talking about it at all, thus giving it far more attention than it deserves.

Its exclusion is no accident, however, so I think it’s important to explain why I’m wasting this space on it and why something which by all means is of incredible significance, does not feature at all within these pages.

There are two real reasons this is the case, a conscious and sub-conscious. The conscious one being that, as a team, we are sick of it. The word now immediately instils annoyance in the same way words such as “chillax” do when they’re used. In lectures its mention is groaned at in the same way a child might groan at the thought of the dentist. Our extraction from the EU can certainly be regarded as similarly as painful as the extraction of a tooth, and no one likes a dentist just like no one seems to enjoy Brexit.

At Comment we’ve been making a conscious effort to distinguish ourselves from the Politics Section (yes, we do actually have one, it’s pg.16-17). In order to do this, we need opinions on a wide range of topics and not just political ones.

There are simply more important or interesting issues for people to write about. Yes, whether we should be paying to watch Game of Thrones isn’t necessarily of the same global significance as Brexit but I know what I’d rather read two writers argue about.

It’s not just about entertainment either. Several of our articles touch on significant issues that would potentially otherwise not be given the air time they deserve.

The second reason there’s no Brexit on these pages is that no one wanted to write about Brexit anyway. I’m sure people who are finding Brexit incredibly entertaining still exist but where actually are you? Every issue we put out suggestions for our writers but they also pitch their own ideas. No one is pitching Brexit articles. I think the main reason for this is that most of the opinions have all already been written. To write an opinion piece you’ve got to have some sort of fairly original opinion. Despite every comedian having their own whacky analogy for what Brexit is, even their originality seems to be drying up.

Another reason; and perhaps the most important reason is that people agree that there’s more interesting stuff going on. It’s not just us who think there’s better stuff to talk about. Original takes on Brexit are hard to come by: why should we devote time to that when there are more interesting issues?

I do seriously feel the hypocrisy of this piece. Giving so much space to a topic to claim it isn’t interesting doesn’t sound like a great idea. However, I think it’s important for us to justify our decision to exclude such an important topic. Despite this I am left wondering whether I should’ve just written this note on Diane Abbott’s mojito instead.