Columns Muse

Saskia Starritt Faces her Latest Fear of Endings

A note from the Deputy MUSE Editor on endings and new beginnings

Image Credit: HBO

By the time that this, my final editor’s note, has been printed, I will have endured the undeniable emotional trauma of *Avengers: Endgame * and the third episode of Game of Thrones’ final season. It seems that so many beloved and important aspects of my life are coming to an end in the next few months, the most glaringly obvious of this being my time at university, and this is a rather overwhelming fact. I have never really been averse to change and the ends of eras, rather the opposite actually, but in retrospect I’ve realised that is because I have been ready to move on.While my enthusiasm towards my history degree may have declined over the past three years, MUSE, and my unrequited love for the Stark family, aren’t quite so easy to give up.

However, one thing that has been emphasised during this production week, and within this edition of MUSE, is that the ending for one is not just a beginning for another, but an opportunity to rebuild. Debates of how we should rebuild our world are particularly relevant considering the recent events at Notre Dame, and Joseph Higgins offers insight into how the gaming world is impacting said discussions.
Sustainability is the main focus of this edition as Seren Hughes explores the re-use of food waste, the fashion team tackle sustainable shopping, and Lily Abel shows just how simple environmentally friendly travel can be. The matter of sustainable living in lieu of the devastating damage that our planet has suffered is one with particular resonance and concern for young people. Overcoming environmental crises will require a complete over-haul of our societal structure and thus is often seen as a hopeless fight for the individual. Nevertheless, this edition of MUSE shines alight on the differences that we can personally make, and that are being made within our lo-cal community: a reassuring number of people are striving to rebuild our world.

I suppose that I should take this optimism and apply it to my own life. I will find new TV shows and film franchises to obsess over. There will be new, albeit terrifying, opportunities in my professional and personal life. As for MUSE, a new team will take over by the end of this term, and they too will be able to innovate and transform the canvas that all our predecessors have laid for us. Endings can be happy and rewarding, as our editors have mused in this edition’s Ask the Editors. Although they may be daunting, the reflection and introspection that tends to come with an ending often evokes sentiments of pride, fulfilment, and gratitude; no better way could I describe my feelings towards my time at MUSE.