Student News Web Exclusives News

Zamzam Ibrahim elected as next President of the National Union of Students

The former President of University of Salford Students' Union will lead the organisation for the next year, with York students expecting a review of their affiliation next term.

Image Credit: National Union of Students

The National Union of Students (NUS) has elected Zamzam Ibrahim to serve as its next President. Delegates cast their votes in the leadership ballot this evening at the organisation's national conference in Glasgow. She defeated Bilal Bin Saqib, Justine Canady, Meike Imberg, and Nelly Kibirige.

Ibrahim, who has called for students to engage in a national 'strike', said in her election speech: "There has never been a greater need to rebuild our national union as the fighting, unwavering force that is primed to brave the challenges that lie ahead."

The NUS has been fraught by financial woes this past year, with the University of Plymouth Students’ Union and the University of Portsmouth Students' Union voting to disaffiliate. It has cut half of its staff under a new austerity programme in an attempt to remain financially viable.

York students are expecting a review of the University of York Students' Union's own affiliation with the NUS to occur next term. This must occur every three years. A campus-wide referendum three years ago resulted in a victory to remain affiliated with 1461 voting for affiliation and 1233 voting against.