Music Music Features Music Reviews Music News Muse

The Month In Music - March 2019

Alex Thompson reviews the best, worst and weirdest albums of the past month

Image Credit: Image Credit: AWAL Records

March was an interesting month for music with the release of a lot of polarising albums both in the mainstream and under the radar. As I didn’t manage to review each individually I decided to summarise the most significant, breaking down the major releases with miniature reviews. From Little Simz and Foals to Nav and Logic, here are the best and worst albums of March 2019.
foals.jpg
Image Credit: Song Music

The Good

Billie Eilish - When We Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?
It might not be as cool, edgy or original as it seems to think it is but Billie Eilish’s latest full length project is an incredibly tight, well performed and beautifully produced album. The booming production and Eilish’s hushed vocals blend perfectly together, a beautifully melancholic and dark sound that make it one of the best pop albums of the year. A definite step forward for the Gucci-clad singer/songwriter. 4/5
Foals - Part 1 Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost
A whole lot more exciting and unique than previous Foal’s projects, Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost is a dynamic indie rock album which is unfortunately weighed down by a few tepid filler tracks. Hopefully Part 2 will be more consistent. 3.5/5
Little Simz - Grey Area
A groundbreaking and topical hip hop project from a previously underrated artist, Grey Area is an astoundingly good album giving the Little Simz the recognition she deserves. Dense production, clattering instrumentals and intricate wordplay make this album a must listen and easily one of the best rap albums of the year. 5/5
Dave - Psychodrama
A stunning debut from Streatham based grime artist Dave tackling everything from race and class to domestic abuse and mental health in one of the most important albums of the year. Tinkling piano riffs and characteristically tight vocal delivery make it the rappers most impressive work to date. 5/5
Stella Donnelly - Beware Of The Dogs
With jangly guitars and poetic vocals, Stella Donnelly makes well crafted indie pop full of character and energy. Very reminiscent of Mac DeMarco, the chilled out indie riffs hold the album together and give it a beautifully sleepy quality. 3/5
Flume - Hi This Is Flume
Sort of electronic, sort of hip hop, sort of trap; Flume creates clustered and vibrant instrumentals full of glitchy synths, soaring pianos and crashing drum machines. It’s leagues ahead of his previous work and features some of my favourite artists such as Slowthai and JPEGMAFIA. 4/5
Matmos - Plastic Anniversary
Unique and groundbreaking electronic music from veterans of the genre Matmos, Plastic Anniversary a conceptual album diverse in tone and style and packed with ingenuity. Creating music almost exclusively from plastic sounds, the duo pull off an audacious but enjoyable album. 3.5/5
Ibibio Sound Machine - Doko Mien
A London based collective combining New York New Wave with Ghanaian and Nigerian influences, Ibibio Sound Machine masterfully combine styles to create an eclectic and vibrant album with echoes of pop, world music and funk. 3.5/5**flume.jpg**
Image Credit: Future Classic Records

The Bad

Solange - When I Get Home
Whilst it features glitzy instrumentals and production courtesy of Pharrell, Tyler The Creator, Earl Sweatshirt, Metro Boomin and Dev Hynes, Solange’s latest album lacks a sense of excitement and makes it unfortunately unmemorable. 2.5/5
Karen O and Danger Mouse - Lux Prima
Aside for some stand out tracks, Karen O and Danger Mouse deliver a mostly forgettable album packed with filler tracks that lacks the soul of the duo’s previous projects. A real shame considering that the production and some of the tracks are stunning. 2.5/5
Weezer - The Black Album
Weezer’s latest album is another misstep for the band. It’s an awkward and uncomfortable listen, cringe inducing and embarrassing, like watching your Dad do karaoke to Sicko Mode or Mo Bamba. Stick to covering ‘Africa’ lads. 1/5
Gesaffelstein - Hyperion
Kanye collaborator and Parisien producer Gesaffelstein collaborates with Pharrell and Haim on his most boring work to date, lacking any of the cutting an abrasive energy he brought to Yeezus or other production ventures. An uninspiring electronic album lacking in grit, creativity and energy. 2/5
Nav - Bad Habits
Nav’s bad habit is making terrible albums. With basic beats and lyrics devoid of any interest, Nav’s latest release is about as enjoyable as eating a mouthful of sand.  1/5

INav_BadHabits.jpg
Image Credit: XO and Republic Records

The Ugly

Logic -Supermarket
Supermarket is uniquely terrible album, plagued by shameless plagiarism, endless naff cliche and lazy lyricism. From the clunky Red Hot Chilli Peppers impressions to the painfully poor Tribe Called Quest and Biz Markie covers and the appalling named ‘Bohemian Trapsody’, Logic’s latest album is almost unlistenable. Poorly mixed, poorly written and poorly performed, the whole album feels like a half-arsed and lethargic effort to rip of everyone from Radiohead to Mac DeMarco. Instrumentals sound like clumsily mastered karaoke backing tracks, vocals are lethargic, strained strained and mostly tuneless, trap style drops are painful and unexpectedly sudden like being hit over the head by a brick. There’s really nothing redeeming about this album. Oof/5

supermarket.png
Image Credit: Def Jam Recording and Visionary Music Group