Campus News Web Exclusives News

New Vice-Chancellor announced

Professor Charlie Jeffery CBE has been appointed as York's next Vice-Chancellor and President, and will be in post from 1 September 2019.

Image Credit: University of York

Professor Charlie Jeffrey CBE has been appointed as the new Vice-Chancellor and President of the University of York, taking over from Acting Vice-Chancellor Saul Tendler. Professor Jeffrey will take up the leading position at the University from 1 September 2019.

Professor Jeffrey is a Professor of Politics who has served as Senior Vice-Principal at the University of Edinburgh since 2014. His experience includes  development of strategy and policy, including roles in strategic and financial planning, student experience, and internal engagement and communications.

His outstanding achievements include: driving interdisciplinary collaboration in data science and renewable energy, playing a central role in the  £237m government Edinburgh City Deal, integrating international student engagement and recruitment with philanthropic strategies, promoting student voices by a cultural change programme, and securing investment through innovative collaborative co-investment partnerships.

Professor Jeffery said, "I am delighted to be joining the University of York as its seventh Vice-Chancellor and President.

"York is a University that stands out for its uncompromising commitment to excellence in both teaching and research, its heritage and record as a University founded to widen participation in higher education, and for the strength of community that links students and staff of all backgrounds in discovering and applying knowledge for public good.

"I am delighted to be joining that community at an exciting time as the University shapes its long-term strategy. It has great strengths across its three Faculties. I am looking forward to working with students, staff and alumni to build on those strengths through the creative collaboration across disciplines for which York is renowned, in partnership with like-minded institutions nationally and internationally, and with the support of alumni and friends around an ambitious Campaign for York.

"My family and I are also looking forward to our move to York and to Yorkshire, a part of the country we don't yet know well and are keen to discover more about."

Professor Saul Tendler, Acting Vice-Chancellor said: "I'm delighted that Professor Charlie Jeffery is coming to York as our next Vice-Chancellor and President. I've known Charlie for a number of years and know he will bring a wealth of experience and expertise to the role. I'm sure you will all join me in welcoming Charlie to York, and I look forward to working with him on the next stages of our University's development."

Denise Jagger, who chaired the appointment committee, said: "We are delighted to welcome Professor Jeffery as our next Vice-Chancellor. Charlie brings with him a wealth of strategic experience, evidence of strong vision and leadership, and a clear commitment to York's founding principles of excellence, equality and opportunity for all, anchored by the highest academic and professional standards.

"There are many challenges - and opportunities - that lie ahead for the higher education sector in the UK. The Council, and the Joint Committee of Council and Senate, felt unanimously that, in appointing Charlie, we are appointing an inspirational leader who can build on the work of our previous Vice-Chancellor, and ensure that York can respond to the challenges ahead with creativity, innovation and determination.

"I am very grateful to Professor Saul Tendler for his leadership in the intervening period since the departure of Professor Koen Lamberts. Saul will continue as Acting Vice-Chancellor and President until Charlie's arrival in September."