Student News Campus News Elections News News

Voting open for YUSU by-elections

Photo Credit: YUSU
Voting has now opened for the second time this year to elect positions at the University of York Students’ Union (YUSU). The by-election, gives the opportunity for YUSU to fill roles that were left vacant after the initial vote, the results of which were announced a little over two weeks ago.

There are five positions in total available: three Part Time Officer (PTO) roles and two further Non Officer roles. The only uncontested election is for the position of Disabled Students’ Officer, where Elana Greaves & Victoria Crawford are running as a pair. There are, meanwhile, two pairs of candidates for the role of Black Asian Minority Ethnic Officer: Zainab Moallin & Karla Perlaza, and Nafisah Animashaun and Amber Jaffrey.

The position of Working Class and Social Mobility Officer is the final PTO role included in the by-elections. This is only the second year that the role has existed, after it was created for last year’s elections following a controversial YUSU referendum on the topic. After nobody put themselves forward for the role initially, there are now three candidates running, the highest of the three PTO openings. The candidates are Emilia Berenyi, Chelsea Annett, and Courtney Smith & Joel Stasiuk, running as a pair.

The Non Officer roles still up for grabs are both for Faculty Rep positions. For the second year in a row, the only Faculty Rep role filled after the initial elections was for the Sciences. The by-election candidates for Arts and Humanities Faculty Rep are Camilla Pederiva, Eloise McMinn Mitchell, and Clark Brydon. The race to represent the Social Sciences Faculty is contested by Zsofia Majer, Tom Holderness and Aman Hussain.

As in February’s elections, the voting system used will be Single Transferrable Vote (STV) with the option to Re-Open Nominations (RON), where voters put the candidates, including RON, in preference order.

Voting closes at 16:00 this Friday, 15 March. You can vote at yusu.org/vote.