Top Sport Story Roses Sport News & Features Sport

Student Minds announced as second Roses 2019 charity partner

York Sport Union have revealed that student mental health charity will be second official charity partner for Roses 2019

Image: Student Minds

Nouse can exclusively reveal the second major charity partnering with York Sport for the 2019 Roses tournament is to be ‘Student Minds’.

Student Minds is a charity that will be familiar to many across campus already, having worked closely with YUSU for the past few years, collaborating with the union on a specific mental health charter for students as well as having past and present YUSU sabbatical officers on their board.

Described as the UK’s student mental health charity, Student Minds is a charity focused on empowering students and members of university communities to look after their own mental health, support others and create change, with an end goal to “transform the state of student mental health so that all in higher education can thrive.”

Within the last few weeks, YUSU and Student Minds York have worked together on campus to mark University Mental Health Day, running a positive message writing project to give students a platform to discuss mental health and problems with the transition into university life.

The positive message project is something that will be incorporated into Student Minds’ Roses campaign, which will centre around a mindfulness Rose Garden.

The garden, which has been designed by artist Charlotte Chatfield of ‘Make a Scene Studio’, will see the space outside of YUSU be transformed into a peaceful and tranquil area containing rose-covered furniture and other rose-themed features. In the Rose Garden will be stalls for Student Minds and York Sport’s other Roses charity partner, Beat, that will  encourage debate among visitors about mental health provision both in York and across the nation.

In addition to the garden, the weekend will of course include over 100 sports fixtures, as well as a Roses Festival and ‘Give it a Go’ sessions run for the benefit of local families, making Roses a true community-minded event.

York Sport Union President Zac Sheppard said of the Student Minds partnership, “This is a strong message showing the link between mental health and sport. We are using our biggest sporting competition to demonstrate the massive variety of sports available to get involved in at York and the positive impact being active has on mental health.

“I’m also delighted to be working with Student Minds, who are a really active group of students on campus. For students not wanting to take part in sport, we encourage them to spectate and get involved in the massive sporting community we have at York.”

To find out more about Student Minds, head to their website: https://www.studentminds.org.uk/