Analysis Politics News Brexit Politics

Just 17 days until the UK is set to leave the EU

After 997 days the UK is set to leave in less than a month and there’s still no deal

Image: Number 10

The Backstop Agreement is a position of last resort which ensures that if the UK leaves the EU without a comprehensive deal, then a soft border will continue on the island of Ire-land as is agreed in the Good Friday Agreement. Theresa May agreed that Northern Ire-land would stay aligned to some EU Single Market rules. The UK as a whole would also enter into a temporary Single Custom Territory - effectively remaining in the Customs Union.

The reason why this agreement was so controversial is that during this period the UK would have to abide by EU Custom Union rules but with no say over them - many  pointed out that this didn’t appear to be “taking back control.” Secondly, the UK could not unilaterally leave the backstop: it would need the EU’s agreement too.

These are two of the main reasons why May’s Withdrawal Agreement was defeated with the largest Parliamentary defeat in modern history. May agreed to go to the EU27 and try and get “clarifications and assurance” on the backstop. Her second meaningful vote will be brought to Parliament today.

If May’s ‘reformed’ second deal fails to pass Parliament then the UK would still have no deal with less than three weeks to go until it is meant to leave. In this scenario (which is quite possible) we are in uncharted territory. Here are some possible out-comes if the deal is voted down.

1)  Leave the EU with No Deal. This option is the most unlikely because it is  improbable  that there would be a Parliamentary majority.

2) Labour tries to force a general election. While this may happen it is unlikely to succeed. Disagreements on the deal are cross-party. The EU has also ruled out renegotiating a new deal.

3) Article 50 is extended.

If Theresa May’s reformed meaningful vote is voted down then this is the most likely option. This would be voted on on the 14 March. What happens after is unknown. Could it be a case of 3rd time lucky?

Latest in Analysis