Football Varsity Sport

Varsity 2019: Women's Football A

Langwith dominate but lose on the lottery of penalties

For the A match of Women’s Football, Langwith faced off against sister college Josephine Butler, in what proved an exciting but cagey affair. 

Right from the off, it was clear who the superior team was, all the early pressure coming from the visiting Langwith team, wasting a good number of early chances including a short range effort sailing way above the bar.

Throughout the entirety of the first half, Langwith were knocking on the Butler door harder and harder finding no way through the Butler gates.

The same story unfolded in the second half, Langwith again having nearly all of the ball and all but two of the main clearcut chances. Langwith’s failing in attack came from decision making, with the terrorising winger in particular often opting to shoot from range rather than pick out one final pass to create better opportunity to score.

Three corners in quick succession gave Langwith hope of an eventual breakthrough, the Butler goalkeeper being forced into making a save low to her left to keep the scores level. 

Langwith’s composure was still found to be lacking as time ebbed away, and a rare lapse in defence gave Josephine Butler the chance to steal the match and five points away from York in the dying seconds, a chance they also failed to take, leaving the game 0-0 at the end of normal time.

The decision making of Langwith improved in the early stages of extra time, with the Langwith right winger pulling a cross back into the centre rather than shooting from distance as had been the norm in regulation time. They failed to convert and began to tire, Butler trying to exploit Langwith’s fatigue with some chances of their own, all of which were thwarted.

The game went to penalties which after five each separated the sides, but in a way that was not representative of the match as a whole. Had Langwith’s finishing been sharper then both a good and deserved win, along with five points, would have been in York’s hands. Josephine Butler ran away undeserving winners on penalties, by a score of 3-2. Finishing aside, this performance bodes well for the future of Langwith women’s football.