Football Varsity Sport

Varsity 2019: Men's Football B

Barely giving Hatfield a sniff of goal, Vanbrugh score five as they cruise to victory in Durham

Image: Luke Snell.

Vanbrugh College breezed to victory against Durham’s Hatfield College, barely putting a foot wrong as they won 5-0. 

Right from the start, it was clear Hatfield were going to be chasing the game, especially downthe right side. Josh Edwards’ speed and skill was far too much for the Hatfield right back, who was humiliated on more than ten occasions in the opening fifteen minutes. Vanbrugh’s opening goal would come thanks to Edwards too, when he broke clear down the right and whipped in a perfectly placed ball for Jake Wright to smash home. Shortly after, Edwards probably should’ve doubled Vanbrugh’s lead, the Hatfield goalkeeper making a total hash of clearing the ball and playing it directly into the Vanbrugh attacking path.

It wouldn’t come back to haunt them though, as centre-half Will Rennie put the famous Purple in front with a bullet header that the Hatfield keeper got nowhere near. Straight after half-time, Hatfield were 3-0 down, and well and truly out of the game, thanks to another goal from Jake Wright. He thought he’d secured his hat-trick soon after, only for the referee to give it offside. There were no arguments whatsoever about his goal several minutes after though, which did secure his hat-trick for the afternoon.

With a matter of seconds of normal time left to play, the Hatfield College goalkeeper found himself off of his line. Given the ball was in the Vanbrugh half, this wouldn’t normally have posed any problems. However, Aaron Brodie spotted this vulnerability, and lobbed the keeper from the best part of 55 yards out. A goal reminiscent of David Beckham’s against Wimbledon in 1996, or Wayne Rooney’s against West Ham in 2014.

As fantastic as Vanbrugh’s attacking players were, credit must be given to the defence. Although they had little to do, the back line dealt with any danger instantly, barely ever letting Hatfield in with a chance on goal. The win secured three points for York’s Varsity quest, and once again highlighted why Vanbrugh are one of York’s best footballing outfits.