Other Sports Varsity Sport

Varsity 2019: Mixed Volleyball A and B

In the opening fixtures of Roses, York get off to a tough start in the Volleyball

In the opening fixtures of College Varsity, York got off to the worst possible start, conceding eight points to Durham as Hes East and Halifax College suffered dissapointing losses in the Sports Arena. Getting going at 10am, it was certainly an early start for the teams, as they began their journeys from York just shy of eight o'clock. The A team, represented by Hes East, began their game well, capitalising on Durham's underarm serves, which surely violated the official Varsity constitution...

Unfortunately, though, Ustinov would fight back, and turned the game around from 5-2 in favour of York, to 9-6 in favour of the home team. From here, the first match seemed to slip away from Hes East, who soon found themselves 21-14 down. Three excellent points on the spin wouldn't be enough for the York side though, and they lost the opening game 25-17. The B Team, represented by Halifax College, lost their opening match by the exact same score.

York's two teams may have lost their opening games, but there was still optimism in the Arena that the score could be turned around. This was especially the case for the B team in Halifax College, who took an early lead against John Snow College. The next fifteen minutes consisted of Halifax and John Snow College swapping the lead almost every 3 points, providing some early excitement for many of York's other College teams who were arriving at Durham's Sports Campus. As the second match reached the crucial stages, John Snow College won four points on the spin to put them on the verge of victory. Halifax battled as hard as they could to the end, but just didn't quite enough, losing 25-21 and with it, the three points to Durham.

Hes East, representing York's Volleyball A Team, won the first point of their second match. However, they then lost a staggering ten consecutive points to Ustinov College, leaving the away side with a mountain to climb if they were to get anything out of this. Hes East kept their heads up and pulled a few points back here and there, but Durham were soon 21-10 up. They held their nerve and took the game 25-11, and with it, Durham's first five points of the day.

If anyone is interested in getting involved in Volleyball at a College level, then contact your relevant Sports Representative. The University also have a team who feature in the BUCS Leagues - for information about them, visit their official Facebook page: University of York Volleyball Club.