Student News Campus News News

Open letter calls for study abroad funding to be protected after Brexit

The letter was signed by the Acting Vice-Chancellor, all five YUSU Full-Time Officers and representatives of 15 different institutions

Representatives from the University, YUSU, and representatives of  over a dozen higher education institutions have signed an open letter to the Secretary of State for Education, Damian Hinds, calling for funding for study abroad programmes to be protected after the UK leaves the European Union.  

The letter comes as the UK approaches 29 March, the date which it is due to depart the EU with or without a deal. The letter requests that the Government continue to fund the schemes even in the event of a no-deal scenario. 

"The loss of the opportunity to study abroad," it reads, "would be a devastating blow for students in the UK, impacting their social mobility, employability and attainment." The letter notes that 17,000 students are due to study abroad on the Erasmus+ scheme next year.

The letter can be read in full here, where students can add their own name.  

Julie Allen Posted on Thursday 26 Nov 2020

Keep it up