Other Sports Sport News & Features Sport

Charity Darts tournament successful

York Sport Union's charity darts even proves to be a hit, with future events in the pipeline

DARTS TOOK CENTRE stage on Saturday night (February 9th) as the University of York Darts Club (UYDC) hosted an inter-club tournament, featuring notable names from both University and College Sport in aid of York Mind and JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation).

A number of players from several different Sports societies participated and were paired with a member of UYDC to battle it out. These included a host of Senior Rugby figures, with Hes East President Will Jacques, Derwent President Louis-Sharpe Ward and Jenny Provan, Women’s Rugby President, all taking to the oche. Lacrosse Presidents Jamie Holmes and Charlotte Davey joined them, as did Volleyball President Kris Butins. The other two participants were Charlotte Elsy, the York Sport Union’s tournament secretary, and Zac Shepperd,

the Union’s President.

To kick proceedings off, Kris and Yeasin ‘The Assassin’ Sattar took on Charlotte Elsy and her partner Emma ‘The Piston’ Whiston, who is the reigning national women’s University champion. The first leg didn’t kick the evening off in the most impressive way, as it reached the 60 dart limit, meaning it was decided by who could throw closest to the bullseye. It picked up though in the second, as Kris and Yeasin overcame those initial nerves and comfortably took the leg to advance to the semi-finals.

In the second quarter final, Will Jacques and his partner, Constantine College Darts Captain, Alex Deakin, came head-to-head with YUSU

Sports President Zac and UYDC’s Jack “Well’ard” Leonard. After some impressive scoring from Will and Alex, and some less than convincing darts from theiropponents, it was the pair from Hes East that romped into the next round.

The third quarter final of the night saw a grudge match between the two Lacrosse President’s Jamie and Charlotte. Jamie was partnered with Darts’ Ladies Captain Jess Williams, whilst Charlotte was paired up with the captain of the Men’s second team, Connor “The Menace” Ellis. In a fast-paced encounter, Charlotte and Connor won the first leg to put the pressure on their opponents. This pressure overwhelmed Jamie and Jess as Charlotte hit double 3 in the second leg to win the match and become the first “non-darts player” to

hit a winning double. 

The final quarter final of the night was the most exciting. Derwent Rugby’s Louis was paired with UYDC President George “Madhouse”

Hilditch, whilst Jenny Provan was threw with Lewis “Rob Beckett” Hines, named after his uncanny resemblance to the comedian. George was the only first team player from UYDC competing, hence he and Louis were huge favourites. However, spurred on by a strong crowd from Women’s Rugby, Jenny and Lewis won 2-1 to put out the pre-tournament favourites. 

The first semi-final had the potential to be a thriller. However, it was “The Assassin” and Kris who kept their nerve to win 2-0. After

Kris hit double 10 to win the first leg, the experienced UYDC man sent them through to the final. Connor and Charlotte and Lewis and Jenny battled it out for the remaining place, in what was the closest encounter of the evening. After winning the first leg, it
seemed like Lewis and Jenny would take the match comfortably. However, Connor and Charlotte turned it around to inflict a heart-breaking defeat.

With the format of the final upped to best of 5 legs the crowd were subject to even more darts! Kris and Yeasin dropped their first leg of the night early on but overcame this set-back to run out comfortable winners with a 3-1 victory. It was quite fitting that Kris won the title. Like many members of the Darts club, he suffers from type 1 Diabetes, so the work JDRF do is even more close to home for him. UYDC were very pleased to raise money for this event in association with the York Sport Union and their amazing charity York Mind. Both charities do amazing work and are extremely important to both the University and local community.

This event is just the latest in a line of fundraising that UYDC have done for this amazing charity. Over the last two years they have raised

over £3000, a huge amount given that Darts does not have the enormous membership that many other sports societies have. The club were rightly awarded with a ‘Love York Award’ at the end of the 2018 academic year, in recognition of their fantastic work. 

On being asked about the event, York Sport President Zac Sheppard stated that the event had “huge potential” for future years and he

could see the event going from “strength to strength” and becoming a permanent fixture in the York Sport calendar.