Other Sports Varsity Sport News & Features Sport

Varsity 2019 Qualifiers: Badminton

YUSU President James Durcan gives a run-down of the Varsity Badminton qualifier tournament

Photo Credit: Luke Snell
College Badminton will once again have a large bearing on the overall Varsity result, with
colleges represented separately in each discipline of Ladies, Mens and Mixed. Having taken
18 points to 6 off Durham last year, York’s badminton teams will head north once again,
knowing the importance of bringing back a substantial haul of points.

On Qualifiers weekend, colleges were split into two groups of four, competing in a round
robin system. With games being played in a shorter format, up to 11 points, it was all to play
for...

The tournament kicked off with a shock as Langwith’s Men booked their place on the bus,
having topped their group after beating the well-fancied Mens pairs from James in the
deciding fixture. On the other side of the draw, Constantine came close, after winning two
fixtures and drawing with Vanbrugh, but narrowly missed out on the finals, as the group
came down to game difference. The finals turned out to be a step too far for the buoyant
boys in yellow, as they were thrashed 4-0 thanks to some quality drop shots and attacking
play both of Vanbrugh’s Men’s pairs, who claimed their status as York’s A team.

The Mixed followed, with James’ pairs advancing out of their group with a perfect record,
beating Halifax, Langwith and Derwent on their way. Group Two was once again decided on
points difference, with Alcuin and Constantine tied at the top after playing out a tense draw.
Having advanced to the finals on points difference, Alcuin pushed James’ mixed pairings
right to the limit, but their defensive efforts were not enough to stop some relentless pressure
from securing James the A team slot.

The Ladies doubles tournament ended affairs and showcased the high quality of the women
competing at a college level. After being pushed close by both Derwent and Halifax, James’
Ladies made it through to the finals with three wins out of three. Constantine also made it
through to Varsity at the third time of asking. After narrowly missing out in Mens and Mixed,
their Ladies pairs proved too strong for Vanbrugh, Goodricke, and Alcuin. The final couldn’t
have been closer, with both colleges winning two ties each, but James pipped Constantine
to the A side courtesy of their superior points difference.

The teams will turn their attention back to the college league, which is heating up after some
unexpected results in recent weeks, before York’s Ladies, Mens and Mixed representatives
head to Durham in Week 7, looking to build on last year’s College Badminton success.