Food & Drink Food & Drink Features Muse

York Valentine’s Special: tantalise your tastebuds

Imogen Willis visits and reports back on the top ten Restaurants, Bars, and Pubs to visit in york this 14 February

The fun of New Year’s has passed, the Christmas pigs in blankets and prosecco are almost a distant memory, and everyone is retreating into big fluffy knits. Oh and Valentine’s Day is also on the horizon...
Filling all with trepidation, excitement or downright despair, the day can be a celebration of love, or loneliness. But either way it offers the opportunity for enjoying some delicious food and drink. Instead of being down because the party season is over, go out and enjoy delicious meals and yummy cocktails. With this in mind we’ve offered our thoughts on 10 eating
and drinking hotspots in York that you can visit on the February 14th. Whether you are looking for a romantic restaurant restaurant date for two, somewhere to celebrate Galentine’s, or anything in between, we’ve got you covered. Eat and be merry - and make sure you don’t do anything we wouldn’t do.

1. The Ivy Brasserie Restaurant (St. Helen’s Square)

Tucked next to Betty’s The Ivy Brasserie was established in 1917, offering a selection of modern British dishes. It is a fancy location for dinner and drinks which will leave you feeling very sophisticated.

2. Gusto (2-4 Little Stonegate)

Their tagline ‘Elegantly Italian’ summarises this restaurant perfectly. Serves delicious dishes and cocktails they champion a decent selection of Gluten-free options. The combination of vines and lights on their ceiling will make you feel like you are in a summer evening garden.

3. Lucia Wine Bar & Grill (13 Swinegate Court East)

Delicious selection of Italian dishes. Has an outdoor seating area with heating and blankets which is reminiscent of being in a Tuscan square rather than the heart of York in the middle of winter.

4. Khao San Road (50-52 Walmgate)

This one is a wonderful hidden gem. This thai Bistro on Walmgate offers a fantastic variety of dishes. We highly recommend the Panang curry with any selection of meat or tofu.

5. Phranakon Thai tapas (19 Grape Ln)

A very cute tapas bar in the cobbled back streets of York. We recommend ordering two or three per person. There aren’t many tables so it’s worth booking in advance.

6. Banyan (3 Little Stonegate)

Cocktail bar and restaurant Banyan are offering a 3 course meal and complementary pornstar martini for £25 pp if you book online before Valentine’s Day.

7. Turtle Bay (11 Little Stonegate)

With its arty installation of old speakers, eclectic mix of rum-based cocktails, and cool island bar this is always a fun place to go for drinks.

8. The Botanist (15-19 Stonegate)

The Botanist’s pretty interiors, everyday live music, and warm lighting, make it a romantic place for drinks. Book in advance as it is always super busy.

9. Fossgate/ Micklegate Social (location’s in
the name)

Both offer a wide selection of drinks, cosy corners, and mood lighting.

10. Minster Inn (Marygate)

Tucked away behind York Art Gallery, this is a cosy pub offering plenty combinations of gin and tonics, craft beer, and yummy tapas or pizza. It’s also dog friendly!