Columns Muse

Andrew Young is proud of his MUSE team

A new Note from MUSE Editor Andrew Young

Photo Credit: Andrew Young
This is now my third edition as MUSE Editor and I am getting the production week process down to a fine art. The week starts with a biscuit. It ends with my health having decreased dramatically. As editors come and go in the office, the only constants that remain are the bourbon creams, my pink hoodie and a soundtrack that mixes ABBA, Ariana and lo-fi-hip-hop-chill-study-beats-mix.

Late in the week comes the time for me to finally write this note. This one little column you are reading is one of the hardest things to decide on every edition, with my preparation largely consisting of saying 'I’ll do it later' and Googling ‘how to be funny’. Do I go for a comedic rant, risking the possibility I will get more eye-rolls than I will laughs? Or do I go a bit more serious, preaching in earnest about the state of the world? This time, I’d like to write about MUSE itself, and the hard work that goes into it.

Student media gets a bit of a kicking sometimes, particularly on social media. Yes, some of our news stories are local to Alan Partridge-esque levels (hello, duck density study in the last edition), but people love working on student media and, believe it or not, some people might actually read it. Even if nobody even opened a copy of MUSE, it would still be worthwhile, because I’ve had the time of my life editing it. That’s not to say you shouldn’t bother to open MUSE. You should. It’s great.

This particular edition of MUSE has been a tricky but rewarding one, showcasing why student media is important. We have articles ruminating on cultural phenomena such as Bandersnatch and 2019’s emerging musical talent. We also have three Features articles on causes our writers care about. Jodie Sheehan shines a light on the work done by the York Neighbours charity; Seren Hughes opens up about mental health and how yoga can help combat it; Stella Newing and Malu Rocha discuss the increasing wealth of proper, three- dimensional female characters on our TV screens. This newspaper, like any, is far from perfect, but I am proud that it contains these articles, and proud that MUSE has given peo- ple the space to write about their passions.

Sometimes we can have a habit of shitting on other people’s loves, hobbies and personali- ties. It’s something I have been guilty of myself, and something I have regretted. It’s a new year, so why not make it your resolution to do something you love and let others do what they love. As I’m sure you’ve noticed, in 2018 the world was filled with hate; we don’t need it at our University too.