Gaming Gaming Reviews Muse

QUICKFIRE REVIEW: Takenoko

Helena Senior shows us a great game with the cutest pandas in gaming in our Quickfire Review!

Image: Derek Bruff

Players: 2-4 Time: 10-15 Minutes Final Score: 9/10

Takenoko is an adorable tabletop game all about pandas and gardening. The aim is to complete task cards to earn points. At the end of the game, the player with the most points wins. One of the first things that drew me to this game was the fact that it can be played with just two players. Being able to play with just two people makes this game perfect for couples, or anyone who doesn't have the energy to organize group activities. Another thing that I love about this game is the presentation.

The instruction booklet features a cute cartoon explaining the storyline that goes along with the game; each individual tile features a different garden design. Everything about this game is aesthetically pleasing. The one worry that I do have, however, with so many pieces involved, is that they might be easily lost. Luckily the box is set up with handy compartments for every piece, so I haven't had a problem keeping track of them so far. The gameplay is easy enough to pick up, so it's a great game to play with family and friends. All in all, this has fast become one of my favorite tabletop games and will definitely be a staple with the family over the holiday period!