Football Premier League Web Exclusives Sport

Premier League Round-Up: Gameweek 9

After a print production and International break, our Premier League Round-Up feature returns...

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

Chelsea 2-2 Manchester United: Jose Mourinho's Manchester United visited his former club Chelsea in the Saturday early kick-off, in a fixture which would end up in true Mourinho style. Chelsea took the lead midway through the first half thanks to Antonio Rudiger, whose header powered past David de Gea. Paul Pogba seemed to be the man responsible, but was adamant to put the blame on Victor Lindelof supposedly blocking him. United came out strongly in the second left and were back on level terms with their first shot on target, when Antony Martial fired home. A fast counter-attack fifteen minutes later put United ahead, as Martial got his second of the game with a lovely finish into the bottom corner. However, Chelsea showed their desire to go right until the end, when a David Luiz header off the post and a great follow-up save from De Gea was finally converted by Ross Barkley. This was where the trouble seemingly began; with understandably great scenes around the stadium, Chelsea coach Marco Ianni charged towards the United bench. Mourinho was rightly furious about this, and had to be held back by stewards as he tried to approach the Chelsea dugout. Maurizio Sarri seemed to clear things up with the United boss afterwards though, and Mourinho said in his interview the matter was all but forgotten. The Red Devils will be devastated to concede so late on but would surely have taken a point prior to the fixture. Chelsea maintain their unbeaten start to the season and sit in 3rd, just two points behind Manchester City and Liverpool.

Manchester City 5-0 Burnley: The champions once again looked absolutely irresistible against Burnley, on what was a very disappointing return to The Etihad for City 'legend' and Burnley keeper Joe Hart. The first major piece of action saw Vincent Kompany luckily escape an early sending off after sticking a high boot into the hip and thigh of Aaron Lennon, drawing blood. City had numerous chances, Hart saving a close-range effort from Sergio Aguero, before the Argentine turned in a David Silva cross on seventeen minutes. City added a second after half-time, when the entire pitch stopped moving after a penalty claim on Leroy Sane, besides David and Bernardo Silva who combined to score one of the season's weirdest goals, however there was a big question as to whether the ball had left the pitch before David Silva's pullback. Fernandinho scored a long-range strike following a corner to make it 3-0, before Riyad Mahrez curled a 25-yard effort into the top left-hand corner. The rout was completed by Leroy Sane in the final minute, sweeping in a cross from left-back Benjamin Mendy.

West Ham United 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur: This game was a bit of a let-down if truth be told. Prior to Moussa Sissoko's expert dummy and left-footed cross for the resurgent Erik Lamela to head Tottenham ahead one minute before half-time, there was not a lot to note, aside from the unfortunate Achilles injury to West Ham winger Andriy Yarmolenkounder no pressure from anyone. After the break, West Ham piled on the pressure, Hugo Lloris making a top class save from a Marko Arnautovic header, in what would be the first of two crucial saves against the Austrian forward. West Ham had the ball in the net after some intricate link-up play between Arnautovic and Javier Hernandez, only for it to be correctly ruled out for offside, much to the dismay of the onlooking fans at the London Stadium. One minute from the end of injury time, Lloris rushed to smother Arnautovic, making a huge save saving three points for his side after a turbulent couple of months. Tottenham will no doubt feel the luckier of the two sides, but as a Spurs fan, I'll take that any day of the week.

AFC Bournemouth 0-0 Southampton: Southampton and Bournemouth have had very different starts to the season - the Saints arrived with just a point from their previous four matches, whilst the Cherries came into this having won five out of their eight fixtures so far this season. Bournemouth came close in the first half through Adam Smith, but he couldn't quite convert his chance, after a quick move with Callum Wilson. It was Southampton who saw the better of the chances. Pierre-Emile Holjberg had two good efforts saved by Asmir Begovic, who also had to be on form to stop Stuart Armstrong's attempt. Manolo Gabbiadini came agonisingly close to grabbing a late winner in the dying seconds, but his effort was just over. Bournemouth would surely have expected to get more from this game, but they remain sixth on an impressive 17 points. For Southampton, their poor form continues, and it's now the first time they've failed to score in four consecutive top-flight games for 14 years. Next Saturday sees them host fellow strugglers Newcastle at St Mary's, which is setup to be a nervous affair for both sides, even at this early stage of the season. Bournemouth travel to Craven Cottage next Saturday to face Fulham, where they'll be confident of returning to winning ways.

Newcastle 0-1 Brighton and Hove Albion: Newcastle came into this game as one of only three teams yet to pick up a win this season, with Brighton returning from the international break after a scrappy win over West Ham. It wouldn't end any better for the Magpies either, with the boos ringing out once again in anger at owner Mike Ashley. Newcastle dominated much of the game, having 68% of matches possession. However, their finishing problems were once again evident. Despite having an impressive 26 shots, just 6 of these were on target. Brighton were on the back foot for most of the game but capitalised on the key chances given. Jose Izquerido's corner took a deflection off Beram Kayal, which had the beating of Martin Dubravka. The Seagulls won't be going home delighted though, as a nasty clash of heads with Newcastle's Federico Fernandez resulted in Glenn Murray being knocked unconscious. He required almost 8 minutes of treatment on the pitch, before being rushed to hospital. The victory sees Brighton move up to 12th place, and open up a nice 6 point cushion between them and the bottom three. The same unfortunately can't be said for Newcastle, who sit bottom on two points. The impressive display away at Old Trafford two weeks ago will surely be forgotten now, as tempers and concerns begin to rise on Tyneside. Their next four games see them tackle Southampton, Watford, Bournemouth and Burnley. Surely, they'll need to pick up some points there...

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-2 Watford: Wolves and Watford have both made solid starts to the season, each coming in to this tie with 4 victories each. The home side were naming the same starting line-up for the ninth consecutive game, but the consistency wouldn't pay off. It took just one minute of destruction from Watford to give them a comfortable lead, which they held. Etienne Capoue gave the Hornets the lead, with a powerful low-driven effort from outside the area. Just a minute later, Watford doubled their lead, through a lovely Roberto Pereyra goal. Wolves came out fighting in the second half, but it wasn't enough. The home fans were adamant they should've have at least one penalty, with Will Hughes and Adrian Mariappa both going down. It was to be the end of Wolves' impressive home record - prior to this, they hadn't lost at home since they played Nottingham Forest in January. The win sees Watford go above Wolves and into 7th place. Watford will be looking to pick up more points in the next few games too, as they tackle Huddersfield, Newcastle and Southampton. Wolves will hope to bounce back next week away at Brighton, before they face two difficult games in Arsenal and Newcastle.

Cardiff City 4-2 Fulham: Two newly promoted teams in Cardiff and Fulham met in South Wales, both with very average starts to the season. Cardiff were without a win in the league this season, whilst Fulham had already let 21 goals in. This worrying trend would continue for Slavisa Jokanovic's men. Andre Schurrle showed he's certainly still got it, putting Fulham ahead with a fantastic strike from distance after 11 minutes. The lead was short-lived though, and two goals in the next ten minutes from Cardiff put them in front. A tidy goal from Josh Murphy put the Bluebirds back on level terms, before Bobby Reid put them ahead. Talented youngster Ryan Sessegnon got Fulham back on level terms shortly before the break, with his first goal at Premier League level. The second half started with a much quieter tone than the first, but the goals were certainly not finished. Callum Paterson put Cardiff ahead halfway through the second half, before substitute Kadeem Harris secured Neil Warnock's first three points with two minutes of normal time remaining. The win means Cardiff go above Fulham in the table, and are now just outside the relegation zone. Slavisa Jokanovic really does need to sort out this Fulham defence, who seem to be leaking goals at the moment. He'll be hoping to turn a corner at home against Bournemouth next weekend, whilst Cardiff will hope for something special when they travel to Anfield...

Arsenal 3-1 Leicester City: Arsenal came into Monday nights fixture on fantastic form, having won their last nine consecutive games. This excellent run would continue. Leicester played some lovely football during the opening half an hour and were rewarded with a goal when Ben Chilwell's effort deflected in off Hector Bellerin. However, this sparked a passionate response from Arsenal, who equalised just before the goal with a delightful Mesut Ozil finish. They came out just as determined in the second half, with Ozil driving this forward. He tore open the Leicester defence with a brilliant pass, which Hector Bellerin teed up for Aubameyang to convert, having just come on. Just moments after, Arsenal extended their lead with a beautiful move. Mesut Ozil was again at the heart of this, with a delightful flick, which was then again made easy for Aubameyang to finish off. Leicester will regret not capitalising on the chances they had in the first half, and will no doubt leave North London furious with referee Chris Kavanagh. Rob Holding did appear to handball in the area after 18 minutes. Leicester will try and pick themselves up when they host West Ham on Saturday evening, whilst Arsenal face a trip to Sporting CP in Lisbon before their match with Crystal Palace on Sunday.

Huddersfield Town 0-1 Liverpool: Liverpool took 24 minutes to come to life, when one season wonder Mohamed Salah stabbed an effort luckily past Huddersfield keeper Jonas Lossl. Huddersfield were arguably the better side for much of this game, Jonathan Hogg struck the post from long range shortly after Salah's effort, while Philip Billing put a far-out free-kick just wide, just before Huddersfield had a penalty shout waved way rightly. Huddersfield had the ball in the net which was rightly ruled out for offside, which added to the feeling around the John Smith's stadium that Liverpool were there for the taking. Laurent Depoitre had a header denied by Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Becker in the second half, and Billing then put an easy chance over after a double mistake from Liverpool centre-backs Dejan Lovren and Virgil van Dijk. Liverpool saw the game out, a game they may have drawn or lost last season, making many people call them as genuine title contenders, remaining as one of three unbeaten teams in the league this season. Meanwhile, Huddersfield's fight for survival, and search for a first home goal of the season, goes on.

Everton 2-0 Crystal Palace: This game's first half had few clear-cut chances to shout about. Gylfi Sigurdsson had a chipped attempt stopped by Crystal Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey, preceded by a speculative long-shot by Everton right back Seamus Coleman, and it took Crystal Palace 34 minutes to register their first attempt of note, which should have resulted in a goal. Wilfiried Zaha exhibited extreme quality on the left-wing, jinking his way past two Everton defenders before laying off to Andros Townsend, who provided a perfect lofted cross for James Tomkins, who headed wide unmarked at the far post. In the minutes after Tomkins' effort, Palace put the pressure on heavily, having a free-kick saved and a corner striking the crossbar, pressure that ultimately came to no fruition. On 59 minutes, Zaha was taken down inside the area by Coleman, subsequently giving away a penalty, which England keeper saved in expert fashion - giving many tearful flashbacks to that night in Russia against Colombia... *cries*. Everton took advantage of Palace's penalty failings, missing some clear chances and very nearly scoring an own goal. Substitutes Ademola Lookman and Dominic Calvert-Lewin combined to break the deadlock, one crossing to the other to head Everton into a deserved lead after 87 minutes. Two minutes later, Everton sealed the win on the break, Cenk Tosun latching on to a clearance from the back and sliding the ball under Hennessey. Crystal Palace will feel annoyed at both Tomkins' easy header going wide and of course, the missed penalty, largely due to their upcoming four games, a horrific run against four of the top six sides.

Latest in Football