Campus News News

Campus Tories elect Mr Trump

Donald Trump, Republican presidential primary frontrunner. Image: Gage Skidmore
Image: Gage Skidmore

The York Tories have elected Donald J Trump, the current President-Elect of the US, to the position of Honorary President of the society. The election was held last Wednesday at the society's annual general meeting. Mr Trump was elected by a first-past-the-post vote of 7 to 5 in the final run-off, between the Presdient-Elect and Mr Jeremy Corbyn, the current Labour leader.

Other nominations in the race for the Honorary President were Nigel Farage, the interim UKIP leader and David Davis - a prominant Brexit campaigner and the Secretary of State for exiting the European Union.

Matthew Dent, a member of the York Tories told Nouse: "The Honorary President elections are always my favourite part of the Tory AGM - even when I've been up for election myself. It is intentionally chaotic and mad.

"We had a serious discussion about making Baroness Thatcher Honorary President the year she died, and both Ed Miliband and Jeremy Corbyn have been regular candidates. Trump has defined political discussion this year, so pipped good bids from Nigel Farage and Corbyn. Don't worry, we've had madder, badder, politicians. It was Nick Clegg in 2010."

Arthur Reynolds, the Chairman-Elect of the York Tories told Nouse: "when the York Tories elect our Honorary President, we are not endorsing the individual's political values, it is far from a serious position; Nick Clegg is a former recipient, whilst Jeremy Corbyn finished in a close second this year. Besides, Donald Trump can hardly be considered as a fringe politician, more than sixty-million Americans voted to make him their President."

Latest in Campus News