Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Fax take the College Vase on penalties

Halifax Fourths won the first game of today's College Cup finals day after a penalty shootout on the JLD

Image: Petroc Taylor
Image: Petroc Taylor

Halifax Fourths upset the odds to beat Alcuin Firsts in the final of the College Vase after a penalty shoot-out.

https://twitter.com/TomHarle96/status/743070161092153345

Fax won 6-5 on spot-kicks after the game ended 1-1 at full-time. Midfielder Dave Lasky, who opened the scoring after five minutes of normal time, issued the winning penalty on a triumphant day for his team.

The Owls have had a frustrating campaign and came up short despite hauling themselves back into the contest through Ruari Ward's close-range strike.

For a few dramatic moments the participation of Derwent Firsts in this afternoon's College Cup final was in doubt after their referee failed to turn up to the JLD on time. These fears were quickly allayed however and finals day got underway five minutes late.

After Alcuin set-piece specialist Nick Heywood's curling free kick was palmed away by keeper Martin France, a well judged through ball found the run of Dave Lasky.

Lasky showed composure to slide a low left-footed shot into the bottom corner past Neil Lawrence from inside the box.

UYAFC's Cameron McLarty, deployed in a withdrawn midfield role, registered two shots on target soon after his side conceded. The second tested the keeper but the angle was too tight for McLarty to score.

The Fourths held on to their lead with some determined blocking of the ball in the goalmouth. They couldn't prevent Andy Cull from clattering the bar from close range, though, as Alcuin held sway.

Fax, who went through the Vase qualification stages top of Group B, broke with intent. Ranjit Bassi went up for a header under Neil Lawrence's bar, before James Dawkins sent an effort agonisingly wide when one on one with the Owls' stopper.

After the break, James Southwell's downward header from a corner fell to Jed Simpson four yards out, but he could only turn his shot on target and not past France.

Ruari Ward brought Alcuin level ten minutes into the second half of a fiercely competitive game, as he turned a close range shot in after a corner.

There had been a few niggling fouls in the game but a scrap erupted halfway through the second half out of nowhere. Halifax's Dawkins and Alcuin's Matt Cox came to blows with both captains and the returning Alcuin stalwart Cristos Tuton needed to force the pair apart.

Despite creating several chances, the profligacy in front of goal that saw Alcuin struggle in the Cup group stages continued to haunt them and prevented them from ending the game in normal time. A fine touch from Alex Sandham almost sent him through late on, but his shot was straight at Lawrence.

The last chance of normal time came when Halifax's late corner was cleared and central defender Ben Murcott's shot fizzed over the crossbar.

Alcuin: Lawrence; Cox, Tuton, Cull, Simpson, Ward; Twin, Heywood, McLarty; Southwell, Bastidas

Halifax: France; Williams, Ali, Murcott, Ash; Lasky, Aughan; Wilkin, Bassi, Sandham; Dawkins

Man of the Match: Dave Lasky