Football Top Sport Story College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Halifax coast past Langwith

Doubles from Dunning, Waring and Heath see Halifax to second College Cup win

Image: James Hostford
Elliott Tester's Halifax side cruised to a 7-0 win over Langwith 3's on a sunny JLD on Thursday. Image: James Hostford

College Cup favourites Halifax Firsts barely had to get out of first gear in a comfortable 7-0 defeat of Langwith Seconds on the JLD.

Braces from Charlie Dunning, George Waring and Garo Heath, alongside a goal from Omar Chadli with the last kick of the game, took Fax to their second win in Group C.

Langwith battled away but had little, if indeed any, idea of how to contain the movement of Halifax's rampant front three, who helped themselves to two goals each. As the College Cup specialists look to win their third title in four years, expect the contributions of these three to continue to be decisive.

The Heslington West college dominated from the get-go, as captain Elliott Tester send two shots bouncing wide of the left post without testing his opposite number in goal, Langwith skipper Oli Dolby.

Dolby was left with no chance when Dunning's out-to-in run was left untracked; when Ollie Marsh's lofted ball found the forward, he made no mistake with a low finish to open the scoring.

The Black and Yellows contained their opponents for a spell and threatened going forward when it looked like the pressure of Harjeet Ahluwalia had forced Emile Chasteneauf into a back pass to Rob Basu- the referee was unmoved in spite of protests.

Fax weren't especially flowing in the first half and their midfield play lacked a certain fluency in the absence of Rune Bore, but they went 2-0 up when Heath worked the ball through to Waring in space on the left of the box, who seamlessly sidefooted home in space from eight yards.

Heath made it three himself when he latched on to Tester's through ball and struck a firm shot past Dolby into the bottom left.

Marsh almost got in on the act, as the centre-back swerved in a fine shot on goal which looked destined for the top right, but Dolby was on hand to athletically parry and keep the score down once again.

Merely seconds after half-time, Heath charged to the left-hand byline and teed up Waring who slotted home from seven yards out in a central position for 4-0.

Ten minutes later Tester teed up Dunning, who gave himself some space down the right and forced a stinging effort on target that was too much for Dolby- his save only sent the ball into the right hand corner of the net.

Langwith set up in a 4-1-3-2 formation in an attempt to contain Halifax's attacking play but it was at no stage clear in what way this system would aid there attempts to do so. They lost the ball in midfield and Waring, on a hat-trick, had the presence of mind to cut back for Heath- in a far better position- who tucked in an angled finish under the attentions of St John Gilbert.

It could have been more had Mark Howorth's cross not been too high for Omar Chadli and Matt Birtles not contrived to head the ball off the Langwith line with the ball destined for the back of the net. Birtles' search for a goal continues.

An afternoon sun, beating down on the JLD on Thursday, signals that the College Cup is well underway and Halifax look like strong contenders to win the whole thing.

Halifax: Basu; Birtles, Chasteneauf, Marsh, Girzadas; Knifton-Smith, Tester, Johnson; Dunning, Waring, Heath

Substitutes: Howorth, Chadli, Thomas

Man of the Match: Charlie Dunning

Langwith: Dolby; Gilbert, Perera, Johnson-Evans, Davison; Gibb, Kent, Ceejay, Ahluwalia; Teffy, Anderson

Substitute: Chalker

Man of the Match: Oli Dolby

Latest in Football

3 Comments

DomCrane Posted on Wednesday 27 Jan 2021

When is nouse going to hurry up and update the frigging group tables???

Rob Posted on Wednesday 27 Jan 2021

The team in the picture isn't even langwith. Get a grip Nouse

Tom Harle Posted on Wednesday 27 Jan 2021

Rob- I'm aware of that. We don't have people free to come down and take photos at the moment unfortunately. If it's a frustration for you, that is as nought compared to ours.

Dom- The group tables are linked to our Fantasy Football system, on which the majority of games have been registered. We are waiting on captains to send in their points.

If you would like to get involved with College Cup reporting or photography, please email sport@nouse.co.uk. Thanks!