Football Top Sport Story College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Derwent Firsts see off plucky Vanbrugh in opener

Derwent's road to redemption in the College Cup begun with a victory over Vanbrugh

Image: James Hostford
Two goals from Josh Bew, including an overhead kick, saw Derwent to a winning start. Image: James Hostford

Derwent Firsts' got their College Cup campaign off to a winning start, beating Vanbrugh Thirds 4-1 in the opening game of the tournament.

A brace from Josh Bew and goals from Eddie Fotheringham and Sam Weighall got the Men in Blue off to a winning start in a campaign which will look to make amends for last year's calamitous group stage exit.

Vanbrugh didn't roll over by any means but the last ten minutes of the first half, in which they conceded three times, proved terminal to their chances of getting anything out of the game.

Derwent begun by establishing a full-block press that penned Vanbrugh into their own territory. Joe Hawkins played Rob Nicholson through on goal through the left channel, only for the striker to poke wide of the right-hand post with the outside of his boot.

Nicholson had another chance to open the scoring when his lob struck the inside of the post and was hacked clear by the nearest defender.

Vanbrugh's ebullient crowd cheered their every minor victory and outnumbered Derwent's faithful- something that wasn't said too many times last year. The return of the College Cup has been greeted with typical anticipation and hopefully that continues to be reflected in the number of people that turn out for games on the JLD.

One way or the other, the university's oldest college took the lead in the 17th minute.

UYAFC Firsts captain Eddie Fotheringham drove a low free-kick under the Vanbrugh wall and into the bottom right corner with James Graves left stranded.

Vanbrugh stuck to their task and the rambunctious physical play of holding midfielder Beni Nguramah particularly caught the eye; he sent UYAFC pair Bew and Fotheringham flying in successive minutes with shoulder charges, a fact which won't have pleased many at the club with Roses just four days away.

After Hawkins had two shots blocked by crossover defender Kieron Paulas, UYAFC President Sam Weighall embarked on a mazy run from the back- dropping his shoulder twice to leave men for dead- and placed a drive in the bottom right corner from 22 yards to make it 2-0.

Just before the break, Weighall whipped over a high cross which was met by Bew on the half-turn. The striker rose to hit a fine overhead kick, on the half-turn, into the top left from fully 20 yards- a fine strike.

The screeching whistles of the Vanbrugh fans were employed with far more gusto than Derwent's drum, although the Men in Blue continued to hold sway after the interval.

Fotheringham found a pocket of space in front of the back four and fizzed a shot into Graves' body, who dived down to his left to make a fairly simple save.

The winger once again picked the ball up and slid a driven cross over to Bew who, from an offside position in Vanbrugh's eyes, added the deftest of touches to the ball to guide it in the bottom corner from close range.

Vanbrugh's supporters were rewarded for their loyalty with a late goal, which came when left-back Jack Perry lifted in a free-kick and the ball flew into the net of the head of Derwent defender Max Palfreman. The ecstatic group didn't care who got the last touch.

Halifax 2's knocked Derwent out of the Cup last year and they look to be a threat to the top two places in Group A once again. Fax got their campaign off to a assertive start with a 3-0 defeat of James Two's.

Derwent are next in action against Alcuin 2's next Tuesday, while Vanbrugh play Fax.

Derwent: Aylett; Skodje, Weighall, Palfreman, Shelbourn; Ingham, Naylor, Hawkins; Nicholson, Bew, Fotheringham

Subs: Ferrao, Ntephe

Man of the Match: Eddie Fotheringham

Vanbrugh: Graves; Taylor, Paulas, Habgood, Parry, Perry; Nguramah, Sanbe, Durdin; Harwood, Hill

Subs: Brack, Lloyd-Kinnings

Man of the Match: Beni Nguramah