Fashion Fashion Features Web Exclusives Muse

Step into Spring in Style

Spruce up and enliven your wardrobe with these on trend items

So with the clocks going forward last weekend and the sun making more frequent appearances we can finally say that winter is over, and summer is coming. Unfortunately, this means navigating the tricky period of spring, when the weather is so unpredictable you can go from wrapped up in waterproofs and boots on one day to a pretty summery dress the next! Here is a guide to some of the key pieces seen on the catwalk and on the high street to help you navigate this tricky time and ensure you always have something to wear.

Back to front shirts

Back to front tshirt
Image: Natalie Hartley at NYFW

Forget what you thought you knew about shirts - tie waist, top buttoned, denim - the try wearing them back to front. The great thing about this is that you probably have at least one shirt at the back of your wardrobe - bought as a staple, but not worn very frequently. This is a new way to style your classic piece in a fun, sexy and spring way.

Denim

Denim Denim
Image: High waisted denim midi skirt - Topshop £29

Double denim used to be a fashion sin, and its seems that now everyone's trying to channel 2001 Britney and Justin by wearing head to toe denim - from dungarees and playsuits to flares and shirts it looks like denim has made a comeback. This has come perfectly timed for the unpredictable spring months as you can wear heavy denim jeans and jacket or a skirt and light denim t-shirt.

Tiny Totes

Bag Bags
Image: Faux leather cut out grab tote - M&S £35

They may seem impractical, but it'll just make you realise where your priorities lie - I mean did you really need two different shades of lipstick? These little bags can be classy and sophisticated or quirky and cute but they all are barely big enough to fit an overstuffed purse into and tend to have both handheld and over the shoulder straps.

Midi Length Skirts

Strip midi skirt
Image: Midi skirt - Topshop £50

No longer the staple of our grandmothers' wardrobes, this is a perfect way to ease into summer. There have been many different takes on this new length, with pleats, tulle and wraparound looks all featuring regularly on the catwalk, red carpet and in stores. Dress up your look with barely there sandals and fluffy bolero or make it more casual with a slogan jumper and slip on trainers.

90's Sportswear

7574076400 1 1 1
Image: Navy blue leggings - Zara £19.99

This trend is not new to SS16, but is here to stay, and is a great excuse to wear those motivational gym wear purchases with their labels still attached from January's new years resolutions. Cropped racer tanks, baggy trousers and leggings can all be worn outside the gym, so you don't feel so bad about skipping sessions.

Bomber Jackets

Boomer
Image: Badged Bomber - Topshop £59

Bomber jackets are everywhere! They're great for spring - when you don't need a full on coat but it's a little cool to go out without a jacket - and they work with just about any outfit. From oriental patterns and silk to army style with badges embroidering there'll be one for you.

Co-ords

Aztecs
Image: Aztec Embellished Trim Jacket - Miss Selfridge £35 (skirt £25)

Another familiar trend, providing the perfect outfit to wear to garden parties and work alike - whether you want to look sharp in a suit or pretty in a skirt and cropped top combo this is a sure-fire way to make you feel like you're wearing the height of fashion without breaking the bank. And even better - you can wear separately to create many new looks!

Bardot Style

Bardot
Image: Light Before Dark Bardot Ribbed Long Sleeve Top - Urban Outfitters £19

Brigitte Bardot is one of the more underrated fashion icons from the 50s, but she is legendary for her subtlety sexy off the shoulder tops. Stick to the classic French chic look of stripes, or fully embrace spring with a gypsy floral print. The great thing about this look is it can be taken from day to night with just a shoe swap and bit of makeup!