Fashion Shows Muse

Backstage Topshop Unique - LFW AW16

A glimpse at the make up, models and enthusiastic press behind the scenes of the Topshop show

Image:
Image: Deborah Lam

Topshop Unique's backstage area embodied the frenetic yet enthralling energy that makes the brand so alluring, with models arriving and immediately being rushed to wash their hair and get their make up off and redone alongside photographers weaving through a mass of stylists and workers to capture candid images of models before hitting the runway.

A huge marquee erected behind the Tate Britain hid from the eyes of the curious public that milled around outside the preparations underway within: hair was backcombed, and black winged eyeliner reminiscent of sixties glamour was paired with lip colours specifically picked out for each model, shades varying from nude to hot pink. The buzz and almost frantic styling was dulled for a second when power for lights within the marquee cut out. A few stylists looked up in confusion while attempting to continue to style models. A sense of splendid confusion and stress hung throughout the backstage area, but was almost immediately dissipated with another flick of a Topshop eyeliner pencil. Topshop's youthful coolness and swagger was very much palpable backstage, and although Unique does aim towards the upper echelons of London fashion week, Topshop as a whole brand was very much represented backstage - fun and youthful, trend-following yet boundary-pushing.

Image:
Image:Deborah Lam

Image:
Image: Deborah Lam