Fashion Shows Muse

Sadie Clayton - AW16 Show Report

Combining the traditional and the contemporary

Image:
Image: Malik Haddington Ahemed

With copper embellishments, intricate embroidery and a black colour palette, the designs of Sadie Clayton balance elegance and versatility with a regal outcome. Clayton brings this talent for sculpted clothes to her Autumn/Winter collection, which was showcased at the Cafe Royal on the second day of London Fashion Week.

A toned-down bass melody reverberates around the studio bar, paired with indigo spotlighting and a video clip projecting close-up images of Clayton's bespoke collection. Under the theme of 'headspace', the collection seeks to capture the difficulties of holding, maintaining and manoeuvring time. Revolving platforms complete the showcase of high-drama tailoring married with feminine influences.

Clayton's luxurious designs are distinguishable by her signature copper sheeting, and her Autumn/Winter display brings together refined materials that, against a simple black sheen, foreground a dazzlingly beautiful set of accessories. Accessories prove to be the most noticeable element of Clayton's showcase, culminating in a white Parisian scarf offset by marine navy and crimson. Clayton's trademark copper is used for the cascading earrings, reminiscent of waterfall droplets, that adorn the robed models.

Image:
Image:Malik Haddington Ahmed

Clothes are purposefully tailored and textures are diverse, reflecting a passage through time. Decadent sheer materials are readily interspersed alongside semi-sheen apparel, with the biker jackets subjected to indulgences of colour. A bomber emblazoned with a multitude of metallic stones makes for an elaborate centre-piece.

From this diverse and ambitious range of substances, Clayton succeeds in creating beauty and functionality in harmony. Monochrome meets technicolour, matte meets shimmer, and the complexities of her collection are representative of the headspace she seeks to create.