Fashion Shows Muse

Aspinal - AW16 Show Report

Vintage glamour and new prints converge in Aspinal's Presentation

£ 5138254992 0aa87ccba1 o
Image: Deborah Lam

Within the gilded, panelled walls of the Claridges Hotel Ballroom change was afoot for stalwart of fashion week, Aspinal. If one were searching for a place to present the historically luxurious Aspinal, the palatial Claridges would seem fitting, but upon entrance to the hotel, one had to pass through an archway of pearls in order to enter the presentation room - a hint at the new ideas to be presented within.
A convergence of old and new ran through the entire presentation but overall Aspinal are moving into new, younger feeling territory. Attendees of the Autumn/Winter 2016 presentation were invited to take this journey with the brand, from the introduction of the Oxford rucksack in the traditional Aspinal colours of black and navy blue for the student market, through the revealing of a new croc pattern for their classic bags, to the new Pegasus collection designed by Emma Shipley.

£ 25230278936 b9cb360245 o
Image: Deborah Lam

The Pegasus design was infused into the collection in the form of cushions emblazoned with the print placed among the traditional Aspinal bags in arrangements reminiscent of 1940s French hotels, and the main focus of the ballroom: a huge print of a Pegasus behindan arrangement of all the bags.

The Pegasus bags are an array of clutches, trunks and totes, bringing an other-worldliness to Aspinal's classic bag making, and if the designs presented weren't steering the company in enough of a new direction, a combination of celebrity endorsements and edgy prints are sure to endear Aspinal in the minds of the young, and create a whole new generation of bag lovers.