Music Music Reviews Music News Muse

Preview: The Courteeners - Winter Wonderland

Hot on the heels of a sold-out winter tour, Manchester four-piece, The Courteeners announces new single for homelessness charity Shelter reports Jack Davies

Source: ae.edge at Flickr
Source: ae.edge at Flickr

The Courteeners have announced the release of a brand new Christmas single, 'Winter Wonderland', with all profits earned from the single going to Shelter, the homelessness and housing charity.

The song itself epitomises the band's confident and crowd-pleasing nature, with a soaring lyric that will fit right into place amongst Courteeners' other singalongs that have become a staple of their invariably sold-out live shows.

First performed by frontman Liam Fray back in 2011, on Norah Jones' piano at a night curated by the late Velvet Underground frontman Lou Reed in New York (check that out for musical calibre), the track is produced by Stephen Street, the man responsible for producing, amongst other things, The Smiths' Strangeways, Here We Come, Blur's Parklife, and Courteeners' own critically-acclaimed debut album, St. Jude.

Source: Pomona
Source: Pomona

It is featured on a brand-new, expanded edition of the band's most recent album, Concrete Love - Extra Love. The deluxe EP will be available as a double CD, download, and through all streaming services from Friday 27th November.

The announcement of the single comes after the band's massive 17-date winter tour sold out in a matter of hours, including a whopping seven nights at the band's hometown Manchester O2 Apollo throughout December.

All of this comes on the back of what has been Courteeners' most successful year to date, which has seen them play a massive, headline show at Manchester's Heaton Park this summer, a venue that has also been previously sold out by Mancunian legends Oasis and The Stone Roses.

Listen to 'Winter Wonderland' below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f8deg2Tjog