Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Derwent Firsts score nine in derby win

Derwent Firsts secure a Plate semi final place after Josh Bew's six goals help his side to a 9-1 win over Derwent Fourths

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

Image: Petroc Taylor
Image: Petroc Taylor

Derwent Firsts blew away Derwent Fourths in a 9-1 thrashing to earn a place in the Plate semi-finals. The machine like ease with which the Firsts registered such a scoreline was mainly thanks to Josh Bew who grabbed six goals to his name. Despite the scoreline, the fourths created their fair share of chances and would have added more to their tally had it not been for some sublime goalkeeping from Cornell Keller.

It was a cagey opening with the Firsts perhaps still suffering from a culmination of hangovers, both from their Big D exploits and their College Cup elimination. Nevertheless, they had the first chance of the game as Eddie Fotheringham drifted in a low corner and Tom Shelbourn flicked on a goal bound effort only to be well denied by keeper Josh Unsworth. The Fourths were not showing their superiors any respect and could have gone ahead themselves when Will Davis broke ranks only to see his effort blocked by Cornell Keller.

The opening goal of the match came soon after as the First's Rob Nicholson picked the ball up on the left flank before curling a superb long range effort beyond Unsworth. Henry Ferrao then fired over after latching onto Jonny Long's loose pass as the game began to open up. Both sides were attempting to bypass the midfield which made for a rather end to end spectacle.

Soon the Firsts had doubled their advantage as Josh Bew got his first of the game. Nicholson's astute wing-play was followed up by an inch perfect cross which Bew nodded home from close range. The fourths, meanwhile, refused to lie down as they came near again, this time through captain Jake Pollard. Breaking out of defence, the centre back was allowed to carry the ball over the half way line before unleashing a swerving effort. Keller produced a top class save with the keeper tipping the ball over as it changed direction at the last moment, much to the astonishment and appreciation of those on the touchline.

Keller was again called into action; firstly as Soren Reischert squared to Fred Weld whose shot was tipped round the post, before Alex Lake's half volley from the resultant corner was again finely blocked. The Fourth's were left to curse such missed opportunities soon after as Fotheringham chased down a long ball before finding Bew on the edge of the area. The striker turned and slotted the ball into the corner of the net to further the Firsts' advantage. Bew completed his hat-trick moments later as he followed up a rebound before a fourth soon came his way in similar fashion as Unsworth was unable to hold Ryan Gwinnett's strike and Bew was again on hand to slot home.

Bew's fifth came just before the break after he nodded home Sam Weighall's long throw. It was a period in which the Fourths' appeared to capitulate as they struggled to come to terms with the pace of their opponent's attack. The half-time whistle signalled with the score at 6-0 with the Firsts firmly in the ascendancy and looking set to increase the scoreline in the second.

Despite this, the Fourths had an immediate chance in the second half when Weld took advantage of some lacklustre defending, finding himself one on one with Keller. Again, the goalkeeper was in imperious form as he parried Weld's effort much to the Fourths increasing exasperation. The Firsts seemed content to sit off and invite pressure as Chris Morgan and Long both saw efforts come to no avail. A goal finally did come their way, however, as Davis' looped pass found Long and Weld in space before the former muscled his striker out of the way and lobbed Keller.

However, the goal was only effective in sparking the Firsts into life and they soon regained the devastating fluidity they had showed in the first half. Bew latched onto Nicholson's pass but he could only direct his shot straight at Unsworth before the latter then grabbed his second of the game with a neat side foot finish. Shelbourn then struck a fearsome strike from long range which seemed to bamboozle Unsworth as the keeper appeared to believe that the shot was drifting wide, only for it to canon into the corner of the net.

An eighth followed as Fotheringham's drag back was smashed into the roof of the net by Andrew Naylor as the half drew to a close. There was still time, however, for Bew to snatch a sixth albeit in unconventional circumstances. Alex Lake challenged the striker as he ran through on goal yet the ball ricocheted off Bew's leg and caught Unsworth off guard as it sneaked into the corner of the net.

Derwent Firsts remain favourites to lift the Plate trophy as they join their Second and Fifth team's in the semi-finals.

Speaking after the game, Derwent Firsts' captain Ryan Gwinnett said, "It [the performance] was quite lethargic and there were quite a few hangovers on the field but we played some nice passages of play. Obviously we are a bit downbeat to be out of the cup and playing in this but we made the decision that we want to go and win it so we will play our fives on Friday and hopefully get into the final."

Meanwhile, Derwent Fourths' captain, Jake Pollard spoke to Nouse about his sides campaign as well as the match, saying, "I think we have had a brilliant year. Getting promoted in first term and then in second term staying up before getting into the college plate. Fantastic feat for the fours team.

"I fought we played really well considering we are missing quite a few players and we didn't have any subs. We had a few great efforts and Cornell [Keller] kept us out. Towards the end we just lacked fitness. Well done to the ones, I hope they make it through to the final and win it."

Derwent Firsts (4-3-3): Keller (GK); Weighall, Bell, Shelbourn, Askham; Naylor, Ferrao, Gwinnett (C); Fotheringham, Bew, Nicholson. Substitute: Ingham.

Derwent Fourths (4-4-2) Unsworth (GK); Nichols, Pollard, Lake, Marsden; Morgan, Davis, Long, Reischert; Weld, Bhatia.

Man of the Match: Cornell Keller

Latest in Football