Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Derwent win to secure Vase semi-final place

A solitary goal was enough to ensure Derwent Thirds a place in the semi-finals of the Vase tournament

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

Image: Petroc Taylor
Image: Petroc Taylor

Derwent Thirds earned their place in the Vase semi-finals following a 1-0 victory over James Fifths. It was a contentious match with tackles aplenty yet Derwent claimed the win thanks to Dan Braham's first half goal.

Derwent began the brighter and dominated the early exchanges. Alex Lake had the first noteworthy chance of the match but his long range effort was easily gathered by James goalkeeper Matt Trewartha. Trewartha remained relatively untroubled until a low strike by Reischert could only be palmed away before the James defence eventually cleared.

The midfield partnership of Lake and Tony Turney was paying dividends as they stifled James' attack before it gathered any significant momentum. Therefore, James looked to the flanks as an alternative and Lewis Patel soon caused problems after his driving run forced a corner. The winger then drifted in a dangerous delivery which saw Shelbourn called into action for the first time as he punched to safety.

Braham should have broken the deadlock soon after as he saw his effort loop over the crossbar after the ball had fallen kindly to the striker in the opposition's penalty area. Braham atoned for the error moments later, however, as he latched onto Jack Revill's cross to open the scoring. The strikers first time shot squirmed under Trewartha from close range to give Derwent a deserved lead.

James looked for an immediate response as the match became blemished by a series of fouls for which both teams were guilty. On one such occasion, Derwent's Max Palfreman chopped down Aaron Hettey just outside the area. However, James were unable to punish their opponents as Raphael Yu's driven freekick was deflected wide of the mark. The last action of the half saw Derwent right-back Joe Nichols attempt an ambition long range effort which sailed over the crossbar, much to the relief of goalkeeper Trewartha.

The second was a much scrappier affair with chances few and far between. Meanwhile, the aggressive temperament of the game remained unchanged as an all too common James foul gave Derwent a free-kick in a central position. However, Trewartha's acute positioning allowed for the keeper to comfortable gather Lake's dipping strike.

The game's flashpoint occurred at the end of half when Braham was sent through on goal only to be felled by on rushing goalkeeper Trewartha. With the referee signalling a penalty, the responsibility lay with Braham. However, the striker failed to convert from the spot as his strike grazed the upright before sailing harmlessly over the cross bar. It need not have mattered, however, as Derwent were able to see out the remainder of the match to secure the victory and progress into the semi-final stages of the tournament.

Speaking after the match, Derwent's vice-captain, Nick Bearn, told Nouse that, "I think the game went for us today, it was a feisty game with a bit of handbags but we came out on top. We were maybe a bit lucky but it was hard-fought."

Meanwhile, James' captain Sam Lock said, "They [Derwent] had one lucky goal from a deflection and other than that it was extremely tight. For a five's team to come that close to beat a three's team shows that James college are the football college. I am really happy and proud with how we did."

Derwent (4-2-3-1): Shelbourn (GK); Nichols, Palfreman, Pollard, Bearn; Turner, Lake; Revill, Long, Reischert; Braham. Substitute: Farrage.

James (4-5-1): Trewartha (GK); Scott, Ward, Edye, Mcelroy; Rodwell, Hettey, Lock (C), Yu, Patel; Stirrup. Substitutes: Turpin, Bryan, Evans.

Man of the Match: Tony Turner

Latest in Football

2 Comments

Yrkvsn Posted on Tuesday 2 Jun 2015

Sam Lock fails to mention how the threes were also the most hungover team his anti-footballing side has probably ever played against. Also, he personally told me that he wished the sorting hat had put him in Derwent.

DerwentTilIDie Posted on Monday 8 Jun 2015

"For a five's team to come that close to beat a three's team shows that James college are the football college."

Except Derwent 5s remained unbeaten in the group stages of the Cup, beating Langwith 1s and Vanbrugh 2s, and matching Alcuin 1s and James 2s, before beating Alcuin 2s in the Plate quarter-final.

Who's the football college again?