Football Top Sport Story College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Goodricke beat Derwent in smash-and-grab victory

Goodricke Firsts beat Derwent Seconds 2-0 to reach the quarter finals of the College Cup thanks to Billy Bruce's spectacular brace.

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

Image: Petroc Taylor
Image: Petroc Taylor

Goodricke booked their place in the quarter finals of the College Cup after beating Derwent Seconds 2-0. The result meant that Derwent were eliminated from the competition and will now be strong favourites to win the Plate. The match was largely dominated by Derwent who were unable to breech the Goodricke defence. In the end, two superb goals from Goodricke's Billy Bruce were enough to seal the points for the Heslington East side.

Derwent started the brighter and went close early on. Henry Ferrao played in Luca Castiglione whose shot forced goalkeeper Alex Woolley into the first save of the day. Derwent came close to breaking the dead lock soon after through winger Jack Low. Latching onto Felix Aylett's goal kick, Low's quick burst of pace took him away from the retreating Goodricke defenders but he could only drag his shot wide.

Goodricke's deep line invited pressure from their opposition yet, they remained unperturbed with the centre back partnership of Robbie Anderson and James Lewis stemming Derwent's attack time and time again. Derwent were finding space, however, on the right flank as Ferrao and Castiglione's link up play was proving to be a fruitful attacking outlet. On one such occasion, the latter found the former and Ferrao's neat first touch was followed up with a powerful strike which Woolley tipped over the crossbar.

For all Derwent's good work however, Goodricke's defensive unit ensured that the opposition were restricted to long range efforts. Even when Simon Hurst was forced off due to injury, Goodricke maintained their defensive discipline and rigidity. With the midfield's constant harrying and defensive duties a high priority, it was left to Billy Bruce to provide the attacking threat. Bruce nearly opened the scoring against the run of play when Aylett spilled. However, he could only to fire over from close range with the goal at his mercy.

Jon Courtney, on for the injured Hurst, saw his shot drift harmlessly over the crossbar before the whistle sounded to bring the first half proceedings to a close. The second half was a much scrappier affair as both teams struggled to gain a foothold in the match. Derwent captain Matty Elvin saw an ambitious overhead kick come to no avail while Bruce's free-kick failed to trouble goalkeeper Aylett at the other end.

The best chance of the game then fell to Derwent's Low who, following Alex Ingham's long throw into the area, beat Woolley to the ball only to see his header loop over the net. Despite knowing they only needed a draw in order to qualify, Derwent piled on the pressure but were ultimately left to rue their earlier misses.

On the counter attack, Goodricke's Bruce found space on the left flank and his driving run was crowned with a pinpoint finish into the corner of the net to break the deadlock. For all Derwent's efforts, they had rarely troubled Goodricke's defensive line all afternoon and they were now in desperate need of a goal with time running out if they had any hope left of qualifying for the quarter finals.

However, any hope of a comeback was soon dispelled in dramatic fashion after Bruce scored a pile-driver to seal the win for Goodricke. Luke Sides harried the Derwent defence as the ball bounced into the path of Bruce. With an instinctive first time effort, the ball cannoned into the top left corner leaving Aylett helpless.

It was the last notable piece of action of the game as the referee signalled full-time soon after. The result sees Goodricke finish second in Group B meaning they have qualified for the College Cup quarter finals.

Speaking after the game, Goodricke vice-captain Chris Osbourne said, "We have qualified in a group where everyone has looked at us and thought it would be Derwent seconds and Halifax firsts who go through. We've been unbeaten throughout the group and haven't been caused any real problems by anyone to be fair.

"Today we soaked up all the pressure and have done what we needed to do. Obviously Billy has stepped up with two great goals and that has seen us through."

Meanwhile Derwent captain, Matty Elvin also spoke to Nouse, saying, "Its very disappointing. I thought we were good enough to get in the top two definitely. I thought we were a bit off the pace today and so we didn't deserve to get a point. Credit to Goodricke, they have done well throughout the tournament and have played well today and deserve to go through. I wish them luck and we now move on to the Plate and see if we can win it."

Goodricke (4-5-1): Woolley (GK); Jeffery, Anderson, Lewis Thomas; Carmichael, Osbourne (C), Walters, Hurst (Courtney), Sides; Bruce.

Man of the Match: Billy Bruce

Derwent (4-4-1-1): Aylett (GK); Whittaker, Bell, Elvin, Reynolds; Ntephe, Delay (Ingham), Low, Castiglione; Ferrao, Nicholson.

Man of the Match: Matty Elvin

Latest in Football