Football Roses Web Exclusives Sport

UYWAFC held to Roses draw

Women's football firsts were just unable to cap off a perfect season, unfortunate to only claim a 2-2 draw at Roses

[gallery ids="121907,121906,121904,121905"]

A brace from York's player of the tournament Anty Cole earned York a draw against opposition who sit in the league above them in a match that the White Rose were unlucky not to win.

After a nervy opening five minutes from both sides, York created the earliest chance in the seventh minute when a piercing run by York's resident skillster Romy Fernandez burst towards the box before laying up striker Anty Cole for a shot that sailed narrowly over the bar.

It only took a few minutes after this chance before Fernandez and Cole were involved in the game's opening goal. A mazy run by Fernandez drew a foul on the edge of the box and Cole stepped up to slot the ball into goal via a deflection.

However, the Red Rose did not take well to going behind and they grabbed an immiediate equaliser moments later. After winning a corner, the set-piece found their striker in the box, who had room to control the ball and half-volley the ball into the net to make it 1-1.

The game continued at a blistering pace as Cole went inches wide from two excellent shots from distance. But York went behind on the twenty-five minute mark as Lancaster continued to look dangerous from set-pieces.

Right-back Ellie Whittaker conceded a free kick on the by-line, which was drifted towards the far post and a Lancastrian easily headed home from close range to give their side the lead.

Lancaster nearly scored again from a corner ten minutes later, but Whittaker was on hand to clear off her own line. At the other end of field, Cole continued to threaten the Lancaster goal with three excellent chances before half time, one of which forcing an acrobatic save from the Lancaster goalkeeper.

In the second half, York began to turn the screw as Cole brought considerable trouble to the Lancaster defence, forcing a save and hitting the side netting in the opening minutes.

Then, in the fifty-first minute, Cole produced a superb strike to give York a deserved equaliser. Holding the ball up on the edge of the box, she waited for her marker to lung in with a challenge before timing her touch to the left with perfection, giving her room to curl an unstoppable shot on her weaker left foot into the top corner.

Another series of chances came for York on the hour mark as they sought to regain their lead. Cole's header from a corner won York another, and Annie Chambers' on-target set-piece had to palmed away by the Lancaster goalkeeper but only as far as substitute Berit Eid Saeter, whose half-volley fizzed wide across goal.

Lancaster were now struggling to get out of their own half, with Cole, Chambers and Rosie Hay looking dangerous for York, whilst the centre-back pairing of Alisha Miller and Rhiannon Roy swept up any hopes of a Lancaster break.

Cole continued to pepper the Lancaster goal with shots in the search of a winning goal and a hat-trick, but Lancaster were defending resiliently in considerable number.

York could have won the game in the final chance of the game when Roy headed over from close range from a corner. York were gutted to not find the winner that they looked to capable of grabbing in an exemplary second half, but Lancaster deserve credit for their defensive organisation.

Team captain Sophie Jermy, who missed the match through injury and watched from the sidelines, told Nouse, "they did park the bus and it was quite frustrating for us because we were on top for a good majority of the game. From two set-pieces, we were very unlucky to concede from that, and Anty Cole got two amazing goals.

"The entire team team today just put their whole heart and soul into that."

York squad: Cook (GK); Whittaker, Miller, Roy, Larkin; Peters, Craig, Chambers, Fernandez (Hay), Anderton (Saeter); Cole (c)

Player of the match: Annie Chambers