Roses Water Sports Web Exclusives Sport

Swimming domination for the White Rose

York stormed to victory in both the men's and women's swimming events, breaking numerous club records along the way.

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

[caption id="attachment_121843" align="alignnone" width="640"]Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

York won both the men's and women's swimming event at this year's Roses, with respective scores of 77-61 and 78-62. In what was a dominant performance from the White Rose, the raucous home crowd were treated to a sensational spectacle at the pool on Saturday.

The opening event of the 4 X 50 Medley Relay set the tone for the afternoon as York's women's team of Hannah Howitt, Alix Eastham, Beth McArt and Steph Clutterbuck clocked a club record time of 2.05.98 to take the victory. While the men's A team took the victory in their event, they were later disqualified having been adjudged to have left the starting platform before a preceding team mate had touched the wall.

In the 100m Medley, Alix Eastham won for York with a time of 1.09.10 before York's men got their first victory through Chris Unsworth's 1.04.59.

Lancaster dominated the 100m Freestyle events before York were back on track following victories in the 100m Butterfly. Here, Eastham was again victorious with her time of 1.08.16 before Bill Timpany stole the show as he broke his own club record with a time of 0.57.18 in a thrilling race.

The 100m backstroke was won by York's Steph Clutterbuck while Gabriel Cramer claimed victory for the men's team. Lancaster salvaged points in the women's 100m Breastroke before York's Ben Greene claimed victory in the same event with a time of 1.09.72.

After a short break, the noise from the supporters increased as the promise of the quick-fire 50m events created an electric atmosphere.

This intensified further when York's Hannah Howitt took the victory in the 200m Freestyle before Bill Timpany broke his own club record again, shaving two hundredths of a second of his previous best with his time of 1.56.96 in the same event.

Beth McArt took first place in the 50m Butterfly for the women's team while Lancaster earned a rare win of their own in the men's event.

Clutterbuck was proving unbeatable as she again took victory in the 50m Backstroke, blitzing the previous club record with a time of 0.30.66 before Jonathan Edwards followed up with a victory for the men's team.

The women's dominance suffered a minor blip as Lancaster secured the win in the 50m Breaststroke yet York men's' Ben Greene broke another club record with his 0.31.81 time.

The penultimate event of the day saw Lucy Shiplee take the win in the 50m Freestyle before Timpany snatched his third victory of the day soon after.

York had all but secured the victory in both the men's and the women's events yet the prospect of the 4 X 50 Freestyle race to end proceedings meant it was far from over.

Indeed, it was a grand stand finish as Hannah Howitt, Sara Smithsarakarn, Alix Eastham and Steph Clutterbuck stormed to first place with a time of 1.54.75. Meanwhile, the men's team responded well from their earlier disqualification as Ben Greene, Ryan Conway, Cameron Babhir and Bill Timpany earned a victory of their own with a time of 1.40.61, another club record.

It was an impressive display from the White Rose, with both teams looking in imperious form throughout. In truth, the victory was never in doubt.

Latest in Roses