Editorials Comment

Sanitary products should not be subject to taxation

In light of the recent debates concerning the taxation of sanitary products in the UK, the University has declared itself "committed to working out a solution to providing cost price products".

Sam Maguire, YUSU president, working in collaboration with John Greenwood, Director or Commercial Services at the University, told Nouse "Our supplier is more expensive than Jon's so we are working out if we can get out of our contract so we can both get them even cheaper".

It is, or should be, universally accepted that sanitary products are essential, not 'luxury' items, as the five per cent VAT they are subjected to implies.

Despite being granted a 'reduced rate' tax, sanitary products are still classed as the latter in relation to other 'essential items', such as food products, equipment for welfare purposes, water supplied to households, even books, maps or magazines. It seems absurd that incontinence products are under the 'zero rate' bracket, whilst women have no choice but to pay extra for their comfort and security.

I think it's fantastic news that the University is doing what it can to tackle this issue. At a time when students are harder pushed than ever for money, young women should never be penalised in terms of taxation for their essential welfare.