News

Paralympian to speak at DSN event

'Access Your Future' is the Disabled Students Network's flagship event and will take place in June

[caption id="attachment_121436" align="alignright" width="200"]Image: Disabled Students Network
Image: Disabled Students Network

Paralympic swimmer Elizabeth Wright has been announced as one of the speakers for 'Access Your Future', the Disabled Students Network's flagship event.

Wright will be joined by several other speakers at the annual one-day event, including councillor Gavin Harding,
who was made an MBE last year.

The Australian swimmer won three Paralympic medals over the course of her sporting career, including a bronze medal in the 1996 Women's 200m Butterfly and a silver medal in the 2000 Women's Freestyle Relay.

Sasha Thorpe, a former York St John University Disabled Students' Officer, and Zara Bain, a teacher, writer and researcher, who also speaks about disability in higher education, will also be present at the event.

Zohra Khan, Disabled Students' Officer, told Nouse: "'Access Your Future' is entering its third year and I hope as a network we bring an event that's a great success, speaking about important issues such as disability in the workplace and in higher education."

The event is scheduled to take place on 3 June in P/T/007.