Top Sport Story Roses Lacrosse Sport

Roses 2015 Preview: Lacrosse

It has been another successful year for one of York's powerhouse clubs, as both men's and women's sides have packed a punch after promotion. Expect the Black and Gold to pick up 12 points here.

[caption id="attachment_121224" align="aligncenter" width="640"]Image: Petroc Taylor
While the women's game requires dexterity and speed, the men's game is more physical. Both Roses fixtures are set to be close-fought encounters. Image: Petroc Taylor

Fixtures

Men's Firsts: Saturday, 12:00, 22 Acres

Women's Firsts: Saturday, 14:00, 22 Acres

Mixed: Sunday, 13:00, 22 Acres

2014 Results

[caption id="attachment_119767" align="alignright" width="300"]Image: James Hostford
Image: James Hostford

Men's Firsts: lost 5-6 (Last 4 Roses: LWWW)

Women's Firsts: won 13-1 (Last 4 Roses: WWWL)

Mixed: won 11-9 (Last 4 Roses: WWWW)

Points Available: 12

Twitterati

York (@YorkLacrosse): 531 followers

Lancaster (@LancsLacrosse): 74 followers

Inside Track: Claire Thomas, Club President

How have the club performed so far this season?
"UYLC have excelled this year. Both teams secured promotion last season into the incredibly competitive BUCS first divisions, and men's and ladies firsts have both finished third, having played the best lacrosse York has ever seen.

What are you expecting from your Roses fixture?
"Lancaster enjoyed an unexpected victory last year in the men's, playing absolutely fantastic lacrosse, so credit to them there, but two of our team's strongest players were away at nationals, and this season's men's team are brilliant, as are our women's and mixed squads, and so we're confident of a return to the traditional UYLC whitewash.

Which individual players do you expect to stand out?
"In the women's, our attacking midfielders, Connie Shaw and Captain Chloe Searle, are always ones to watch - they're incredibly athletic and skilful players - but also keep an eye out for keeper Beth Reynolds and Aine Moylett, who'll be co-ordinating York's defence. In the men's, Andy Thomas will provide some breath-taking moves, their keeper, George Balmford, is outstanding, and next year's captain - Aru Ilenkovan - will be instrumental on the face off."

Why should people come and watch your matches?
"Lacrosse is an incredibly fast, exciting game: the women's game requires brilliant dexterity and speed, whilst the men's is much more physical, and will be an extremely close fixture. Lacrosse sidelines always have an amazing atmosphere to them, and loads of support, so definitely come down to see just why it's the fastest-growing sport in the country.

Nouse Verdict

After gaining promotion in 2013, both men's and women's teams have been able to consolidate in their highly competitive, respective divisions. Although unable to establish true consistency in BUCS- they tend to win one game and then lose the next- they have played some great lacrosse at times. The ladies' defensive unit is a neat example of the commanding way in which this year's fresher intake have compensated for the loss of long-serving, influential stalwarts last summer.

History is on their side, too. Aside from a shock loss in the men's firsts game last year, York have made a healthy habit of besting Lancaster by big margins. They will have far too much for Lancaster in all three fixtures.