Web Exclusives News

Online campaigning begins for referendum on boycott of goods from illegal Israeli settlements

Voting will open in the second week of term on Tuesday 21 April

[caption id="attachment_101276" align="alignright" width="300"]Image: YUSU
Image: YUSU

Online campaigning for the referendum on whether YUSU should boycott goods from illegal Israeli settlements in Occupied Palestinian Territories opened yesterday, with on-campus campaigning due to begin next week.

A debate has also been scheduled for 20 April.

The referendum was originally scheduled for the end of Spring Term, but was delayed after it was decided that the "legal implications" of the word 'illegal' in the referendum question needed to be discussed by the Board of Trustees. However, the use of the word was later approved.

The University of York's Palestinian Solidarity Society and Green Party Society are among those in favour of the proposed boycott.

Voting opens on Tuesday 21 April and closes on Thursday 23 April.

In a YUSU blog post published shortly after the end of last term, Sam Maguire, YUSU President, stressed that the referendum "although contentious should not be a platform for bigotry, racism or any form or hate crime".

However, he added: "I have the utmost faith that those on either side of the debate will adhere to those policies and engage in constructive, fair discussion around the issue."