Fashion Fashion Features Web Exclusives Muse

Wrapping up for winter

Rachel Paix highlights the best outerwear looks this season

With the temperature dropping, what better way to brighten up your wardrobe than with the addition of your dream winter coat? With the average temperature set for -5*C (or a generous 3*C in lecture theatres) 'the coat' really is at the forefront of everyday attire. As the entire lecture theatre struggle to see the lecture slides through their own breath, what better opportunity to be the figure of envy. Alas, with the high-street finally sporting a vast selection to suit all shapes and styles, we no longer need shed a tear that our student loan fails the requirements of the Reiss price tag.

This season boyfriend jackets swarm our high-street stores. Suddenly, that old joke "want a boyfriend for winter? Get a coat," couldn't be more accurate. With oversize outerwear becoming a dominant statement this winter, those of us up North can forget about Cara and Kate's Burberry macs and replace them with something a little more substantial for the chilly days ahead.

[caption id="attachment_116231" align="aligncenter" width="233"]Wool Coat £89 at Zara
Wool coat £89 at Zara

Once again, faux furs have been popular on the catwalks and on the high-street. Despite this, fur coats can come across a little too thrift-shop. Zara takes it's own stance on the fur;this nude fur-lined number emphasises 'less is more' and captures delicacy rather than looking 'oh so made in Chelsea'.

[caption id="attachment_116234" align="aligncenter" width="218"]Camel Waterfall Coat, £65 at Next
Camel Waterfall Coat, £65 at Next

Next really has pushed the boat out on class and elegance this winter, as demonstrated by the thick oversized lapels and the stylish, slanted deep pockets of this coat. The extra length also makes this one perfect to cosy up in.

[caption id="attachment_116235" align="aligncenter" width="263"]Houndstooth Wool Coat, £79.99 at Zara
Houndstooth Wool Coat, £79.99 at Zara

Alternatively, those wanting to wrap up in something which shouts a little louder should opt for this black and white boyfriend jacket from Zara. This statement piece is perfect for those unafraid to defy the bounds of pattern and texture, experimenting with classic herringbone.

[caption id="attachment_116233" align="aligncenter" width="235"]Pale Blue Textured Wool Mix Collarless Coat, £37 at New Look
Pale Blue Textured Wool Mix Collarless Coat, £37 at New Look

This eloquent collarless coat from New Look reminisces the style of Audrey Hepburn. With powder blue becoming the new season favourite, say goodbye to the bright red coats of 2013.

[caption id="attachment_116232" align="aligncenter" width="241"]Mango faux shearling lined coat, £79.99 at Mango
Mango faux shearling lined coat, £79.99 at Mango

Lastly, the pilot bomber jacket clearly wins the war for warmth. This toasty shearling-lined number from Mango is perfect for those seeking something more casual.