Web Exclusives News

Vanbrugh votes to keep free sport

Over 80 per cent of voters were in favour of Vanbrugh's free sport policy

It has been announced that Vanbrugh College will continue to offer free sport to its members following last week's referendum.
Photo Credit: Fiona Hill
Photo Credit: Fiona Hill

Of the 207 students who voted, 84 per cent elected to keep the policy whilst 15 per cent said they did not think college sport training in Vanbrugh should be free. Just two students opted to abstain from voting.

Vanbrugh is currently the only the college at the University of York which does not charge students for participating in college sports.

This policy is estimated to cost around £4,200 a year to implement, although it has been argued more people participate in college sport as a result, which in turn leads to other sources of income such as sponsorship. In contrast, £1,000 is spent on welfare and £2,500 is spent on events each year.

Students were also given the opportunity to vote on the Vanbrugh JCRC's constitution. Over half of voted in favour of the proposed constitutional changes, while 18 per cent voted against the motion and 31 per cent abstained from voting.

Michael Duncan, Chair of Vanbrugh College, told Nouse: "I am really pleased that so many people took the opportunity to express their views; to have over 200 votes in a referendum is unheard of.

"Yet again it shows that people are engaging in what's happening in Vanbrugh and, with JCRC elections coming up, I hope as many Vanbrites as possible choose to get involved.

"And with this ringing endorsement for free college sport training, I hope the recent success of Vanbrugh's teams will continue in the months and years to come too."

Cass Brown, York Sport President, said she was "pleased about the referendum result for the Vanbrugh students who take part in Vanbrugh sport". However, she added it would be "great" to see more members of the College taking advantage of the opportunities offered as part of YUSU's Get Into Sport initiative as well.

21 Comments

Pooned Out Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

I liked the part where the JCRC voted not to have the question "Should Vanbrugh continue to have free sport?" and instead got the question "Should Vanbrugh continue to have free sport?".

No Flex Zone Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Personally, favourite of the referendum was when it was agreed at the open meeting that information would be given on the YUSU voting page. But wasn't.

Pooned Out Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Democray-cray

Concerned Fresher Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

I noticed that during the open meeting, one of the clauses in the new constitution was changed to say "Only executive members of the committee cannot hold more than one position" and yet on the constitution it still remains "Any member of the JCRC cannot hold another position".

Vanbrugh JCRC member Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Just because it was voted on doesnt mean it had to go in the yusu vote..

I don't think that's how it works

Vanbranarchy Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

The best bit was when the Vanbrugh JCR website said, "Evidence suggests that participation is significantly higher than in other colleges due to the fact that it is free and would decline if a fee was introduced" after no research at all had been carried out (except a very approximate poll in the open meeting which in fact showed the opposite to be true).

Turn down for what

Lethal Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Gonna get frimponged

Do You Even Lift Bro? Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Surely that PS4,200 could have been better spent on saving the good library stairs...

Top boy Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Pesky bee

Vanbroken Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Nice to see us perform so well in the recent cycling event. Great returns on the investment.

Election Hype-Man Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

I nominate Free Sport for Vanbrugh Chair for more of what some (but many others) don't want

Jeromey Romey Romey Rome Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Watch ya mouth

#vanbroken Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

http://www.yusu.org/your-union/blogs/entry/1383#disqus_thread

Uh oh Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Uh oh

Pooned Out Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Great to see the position of 'External Relations Rep' has been included in Vanbrugh's elections, even though it was voted to not be included in Vanbrugh's elections.

Vision Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Maybe Nouse should do their job properly and investigate this

Cameron's Britain Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

Really good to see that the welfare rep positions are still catagorised under 'male' and 'female' when it was agreed after a short discussion with the disability and LGBTQ reps in the open meeting that it would be changed to 'man' and 'woman'. Maybe it's quite lucky for the JCRC that no-one is standing for secretary as it will mean they won't have to waste time ignoring the minutes of their meetings.

Sav Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

... Again

Winter Ballin' Posted on Sunday 13 Oct 2019

All that free sport must have helped Vanbrugh students work up quite an appetite. Unfortunately it seems that they're going to have to pay PS27 for a carbonara at ASK to alleviate that...