News

Tang Hall community project wins award

Tour de Tang Hall won an award for being the Best Community Project

A community project partially organised by YUSU in partnership with organisations including City of York Council has won an award.
Photo Credit: Jonni Mont
Photo Credit: Jonni Mont

The Tour de Tang Hall won the accolade for Best Community Project at The Press' eleventh Community Awards last Friday, beating competition from the Community Cafe at Lidgett Methodist Church and Sprouts Community Garden. Both of projects were awarded runner-up for Best Community Project at the ceremony which took place at York racecourse.

The Tour de Tang Hall was organised by YUSU, Tang Hall and Heworth Residents' Association, City of York Council, Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust, North Yorkshire Police, Tang Hall Community Centre, Heworth and Hull Road ward teams and local schools to celebrate Tang Hall and the neighbouring areas.

The event, which took place on 15 June, involved residents 'touring' three activity hubs and collecting a different coloured wristband from each one. Residents who visited all three hubs received a certificate and a keyring. There was also a barbecue and activities such as willow weaving, environmental games and facepainting.

In May, Sally Burns, Director of Communities and Neighbourhoods, said: "In the summer when the Tour de France Grand Depart visits York it's great that communities are entering the spirit and holding their own celebrations locally. It will also be a great opportunity to keep active and make new friends".

Harriet Page, who shares the role of Volunteering Officer with Ollie Rowley, told Nouse: ""We absolutely loved facepainting at Tour De Tang Hall. We couldn't believe the amount of children involved and getting excited about cycling around York, plus they all wanted footballs or flags painted on their faces for the World Cup. We're really happy the event has won a Community Pride Award as everyone involved really deserved the recognition!"

Jemima Busby, Welfare and Community Officer, said: "I am really happy that such a fantastic event was recognised and the hard work of local partners was rewarded."