Football Sport News & Features Sport

Who will face the drop?

As promotion and relegation are introduced into the College Football League, the Nouse Sport Team look at who can thrive, who is in danger and who may challenge for promotion to the Revolution Premier Division

Image: Petroc Taylor
Image: Petroc Taylor

With promotion and relegation being introduced into College Football, Jamie Summers, Lewis Hill and Tom Fennelly assess how top-flight teams will adapt and select some of the most influential players in the league.

Title Winners - Derwent firsts
The title race is likely to be another two horse race between James and Derwent firsts. Ryan Gwinnett's Derwent probably have the strongest squad on paper, but have a reputation for falling at the final hurdle. James were the team to beat last season, and ultimately strolled to the title, thrasing Derwent in the final match of the season. However, because they have lost so many talismanic players, we make Derwent favourites to finally win the league.

Relegation - Langwith firsts
The prime suspect of relegation, we hear you say, is easy. Since Langwith's ill-fated relocation to Hes East two years ago, it has been disastrous for their football chances, winning just one league game in nearly three years. However, they showed some real improvement under Marcus Campbell last year. Although they are probably favourites for the drop, Vanbrugh and Goodricke also look shaky and could be in danger.

Promotion - Derwent seconds
Promotion from Division One is the most intriguing development to call, and every team in the division will be keen to be the first to get promoted. We make Derwent seconds the favourites to top the league and be playing in the top-flight in Spring Term. During the College Cup, they demonstrated the huge strength in depth that York's oldest college has to offer; Derwent's second team scores plenty of goals, pass the ball well and are solid at the back. If they hit top form, they will be promoted.

College Select XI:

Image: Kate Mitchell
Image: Kate Mitchell