Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

College Cup finals day in pictures

With the College Cup over for another year, we take a visual look back upon this year's competition, which saw Halifax firsts and seconds take the top two titles and James thirds clinch the Vase

This year's College Cup, Plate and Vase drew to a close last Friday, with Halifax once again dominating the competitions. The Lions' firsts side won the Cup for the third time in four years, while the seconds beat Halifax thirds in the final of the Plate. Meanwhile, James thirds tasted victory in the Vase with a 5-4 win on penalties over Goodricke seconds. Here, we take a visual look at finals day on the New JLD.

College Cup Final

HALIFAX FIRSTS 1-0 DERWENT FIRSTS

[flickr-slideshow tags="cupfinal200614" caption="Images: Petroc Taylor"]

It was a much-anticipated end to the College Cup, with this fixture being a repeat of last year's final. In 2013, halifax came from behind to grab a dramatic 3-2 in the dying moments of the game, to avenge their defeat on penalties to Vanbrugh the year before. Derwent were looking to exact revenge this time around, and it was a relatively even start to the game. Though both sides started lively enough, there were no real chances early on and the biggest talking point was a knee injury to Fax's Dan Jones, which meant the match was stopped for over an hour and a half to wait for an ambulance. When the match eventually restarted, Derwent weren't quite able to get back into their stride, and Garo Heath's late goal was enough to see Fax lift the Cup once again.

College Plate Final

HALIFAX SECONDS 1-0 HALIFAX THIRDS

[flickr-slideshow tags="platefinal200614" caption="Images: Petroc Taylor"]

The Plate final was an all-Halifax affair, with the seconds meeting the thirds in the competition. Going into the final, Johnny Stansfield's team were the only remaining thirds side that were unbeaten since the group stages of the tournament. The final started very slowly, with neither side really making inroads into the opposition with meaningful chances. The seconds slowly began to get on top of the game, but couldn't forge any meaningful efforts on target and it was level at the break. The only goal of the match came from the seconds' Joe Knott, who flicked inside and sent an unstoppable half-volley into the net. Fax thirds had no reply in the dying moments, so it was Halifax seconds that walked away with the Plate trophy.

College Vase Final

JAMES THIRDS 1-1 GOODRICKE SECONDS
(James Thirds won 5-4 on penalties)

[flickr-slideshow tags="vasefinal200614" caption="Images: Petroc Taylor"]

The Vase final got off to a relatively slow start, with neither side really taking charge of the match in the opening exchanges. However, James slowly began to build up a head of steam and took the lead when Connor Lawson slotted past Alex Woolley midway through the first half. Goodricke equalised before half time, though, through Jon Courtney, and the score remained level at the break. In the second period of play, there were no further goals, and the match went to penalties; both sides scored their first four spot-kicks each, and when Goodricke captain Michael Olsen's penalty bounced off the line, James won the shootout 5-4 to take the title.